Have you a minute?

Comments (5)

crystal h.

crystal h.

Wow. Im with another shelter and Im glad whoever wins the contest need it as bad as your guys do.

Reply ›

Duckjob

Duckjob

Is there anyway that someone could contact one of the local tv stations to do a story on your shelter? Just send them this video that you made. I must say it shocked the hell out of me. Try contacting one of your legislators concerning it. It seems that there is a huge outpouring of support when they run these stories on the news. Not only do they usually get money support but people step forward to help in various ways.
Good luck and keep us informed if you have the time.

Reply ›

Gojo431

Gojo431

I agree with you Missy and I made the video. There should be protection for these animals but there isn't. The Humane Society does not own this facility however they work out of it. It actually belongs to the city. The city would not hesitate to kill each dog you see in this video, and they did for years. A group of citizens gathered with the city and begged them to stop killing the dogs. The city argued. Then the citizens said, "We will feed them, water them, walk them, and clean their kennels, we just don't want you to kill them anymore." The city decided they could save like $5,000 a year in euthansia fees alone by allowing these folks to take care of the dogs. That was like 3 years ago. Since then not a single dog was killed and hundreds have been placed into forever homes. However the city dog catcher continually brings in the dogs and the city will kill the dogs, if it wasn't for this small group. If PCHS were to win, not likely, but if they did, the make-over would be for a city owned building which is no more than a lean to attached to waste water treatment plant. At best the city would receive a nicer looking pound. There really isn't a shelter to speak of in this city. At least if they won, the dogs would be out of the rain and the cold. They have asked the city to protect these animals and the city indicated they have bigger worries.

I'm like you. These animals should have better protection from the elements while the citizens get them forever homes. This zootoo thing is just one of many desperation acts to do just that.

This reflects poorly on the folks of Wamego Kansas. How you treat your lost and abandoned animals surely reflects on yourself. I wish the public of this town was better informed. I wish they could make the city commission see the wrong they are doing.

There is another group in town which rescues animals as well, but they do not have access to the pound. Only if these two groups could unite and form an alliance, who knows what could happen. My wish as an individual, is a miracle of some sort happens and a shelter will be created to protect these animals in a town which refuses to do so themself. Maybe someone will give a million dollars, maybe Ophra or Ellen or whoever might see this pathetic situation and come to the rescue. Heck if Brad Pit wanted to help that would work. I'm reaching for the stars.

I am a single voice on this matter. Like you, I don't understand why this is happening. However I don't know how to fix it. They do break the ice from the water and refill the bowls twice a day. I saw one worker drying the ears of a Basset Hound in hopes the ear would not freeze for the weather gets into the single didgits.

Thank you Missy for your response.

Reply ›

Missy

Missy

Very interesting that a humane society Would leave the dogs outside in the rain and everything. to me thats not very humane at all. I have been to many humane society's and not one of them have kennels like that even the shelters that have very little money make sure their animals are kept out of the rain and snow, and make sure that they have drinking water that won't freeze.

Reply ›