Survey Shows Over 300 Pets Died From Contaminated Pet Food
MICHIGAN – A recent survey shows that last springs pet food scare took the lives of over 300 pets.
Conducted by Michigan State University and the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, the study found that over 300 cats and dogs died after eating foods containing a deadly cocktail of chemical additives.
When separated, melamin, cyanuric acid, ammelide and ammeline are all harmless. But when mixed, the compound can form crystals that block the kidneys, the report says.
Smaller animals like cats and small breed dogs are especially susceptible – since it requires much less blockage to cause an issue.
Survey data was compiled from vets, vet technicians and pathologists from April 5 to June 6th. It revealed that 347 animals suffered from what's being termed as “pet food-induced nephrotoxicity.”
Proportionally speaking, the contaminated food killed over 300 dogs and cats – dogs suffered more by proportion.
Researchers say that since the recall, there don't seem to be any more cases of nephrotoxicity showing up – and with China's pet food suppliers now on lock-down, there shouldn't be any cases of contaminated pet food anytime soon.
Tell us what you think under this story. Post your favorite pet videos at the zootooTV tab. Email us your story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 877-777-4204.
We’ve all grown accustomed to the many fundraisers and charitable events that the pet industry produces for homeless pets. From pet food companies… more ›