Sat, Jun 5 | By Kris O'Donnell | 10

Ten-year-old Australian cattle dog Middy is never far from the side of Walter Graham, his owner. Whether playing fetch or taking a walk by the lake, the two are constant companions. But Middy is no ordinary pet. “He knew before I knew … more ›

Rescued Dog Saves Diabetic Owner

they say that dogs can smell out cancer too

Tessa

Tessa

Always amazes me what our animal companions do for us!

I remmeber reading about a cat who can sense this...amazing!

Mnann

Mnann

A medical diagnosis of Diabetes alone does not constitute a disability. Disability is a legal definition not a medical one. Specific criteria must be met under Federal ADA law. Please do your research if you are considering one of these dogs. Most Type 2s do not ever experience dangerous enough high nor low blood sugar levels to qualify. A Type 1 would need to be experiencing Hypoglycemic unawareness to quality under ADA law to be accompanied by a service dog.

I myself have type one diabetes and everytime I see or hear a story like this I think of Skitters she will not let me go to sleep at night before I check my blood sugar and she will nudge me and jump on me and lick my face if it is low or high during the day or night if I am asleep or if I am awake and she has not seen me check it and take care of it with some glucose tablets if it's low then wait 15min. then recheck if it is back up have a snack and if it is still low reapeat the first part until it is back up or if it is high then take a shot of novalog. Also there is more than one type there are diffrent types of it and also diabetics like I'm type one we count carbs not sugars like most people think. Alot of people are unedacated about and it makes it worse for kids when they have it because then the school nurse usaully wants them to leave their machine in their office when if they need to check their blood sugar and they feel like it's low they could faint on their way to the nurses office my mom has had to deal with this almost all her life because I'm diabetic, my sister is and both my brothers are and we all have type one and she has had to battle with the school nurses so that me, my brothers and my sisters would be aloud to carry our machines and our insulin. But I am glad animals seem to understand it and don't have to learn about it in school to know about it. Also when I was in high school we had to do a disease report some one signed up for diabetes before I could get to the sign up sheet this girl was so stupid when she told her report to the class she did not say there is more than one type of diabetes and she said when your blood sugar is low you have to take a shot of insulin and when your blood sugar is high you have to have a snack. I was so upset and wish I could have gotten to the sign up sheet sooner because so many students where misinformed on diabetes. But the teacher who had type two diabetes did not inform the rest of the class but she took her away and I think she was telling her about the types I did see the girls paper she got an F and she sat in front of me and I could over here her getting all upset about it. Obbivsly though she did not do her reasearch I eneded up doing a report on child abuse which was one of the chioces even though it was not a disease and I got a B and I am just happy that animals can know about this stuff with out having to learn about it.

Nellsmom

Nellsmom

This is a great story. My 11 year old Jack Russell Terrier started alerting my Type 1 Diabetic sister to dangerous low sugar levels during a month long visit, when my sister was "babysitting" the dog for me. We went for training after that, to WildRose Kennel in Mississippi. They train DAD (Diabetic Alert Dogs) and have started using British Lab puppies from their kennel as DADs for several different people. Their workshop was great. However, I am convinced that rescue dogs with the right temperament can do this job. Folks at WildRose were amazed that my old JRT was alerting naturally, and in the middle of the night. Most dogs are a lot smarter than we are, and more able than we realize, to do this. :-) We just need to learn how to "read" their warnings, as many of them are "hard-wired" to do this type of work, and we don't pick up on what they are trying to tell us. They deserve a lot of respect, as Daryl B said.

they are wonderful it seems they can smell problems

respect respect that is what should be given this dog

Tina

Tina

Amazing... I woud've never thought this breed would be good at service. Way to go!