Fri, Mar 13 | By John McQuiston | 845

Puppy Mill Bust Creates Frenzy at Local Shelter: People come in droves to adopt dogs rescued from puppy mills; While some hope to help, others are just looking for a good deal. But in Florida, potential adopters learn these rescued dogs will need … more ›

Puppy Mill Bust Creates Frenzy at Local Shelter

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ... 11 |

Jessica B.

Jessica B.

puppy mills need to stop. so wrong...

Sarah B.

Sarah B.

This has got to end. This is not a good place for these animals and these breeders should not have the ability to run such a place. These poor dogs! There should be a law against puppy mills and if you are a breeder the state should be able to do suprise inspections, and actually do them. We must protect the animals because we are the human. It is our duty!

Diane H.

Diane H.

I disagree with the guy in the article that says some puppy mills are good. Alot of breeders may be good, but never puppy mills. This needs to end, and by him even saying that, hurts the animals.

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

People who are interested in adopting a dog from a puppy mill because they want a purebred pet for a cheap price should think twice. In my opinion, that is not the reason to adopt one of these dogs.

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

People should never purchase a puppy from a pet store! Hopefully this article will shed some light on the topic of puppy mills and where they sell their puppies.

Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.

I think it is great that the public wishes to help the animals seized in puppy mill raids. BUT, the public needs to understand that they are adopting animals that often have medical issues or problems that needs to be addressed and lack social skills. These dogs are stunted in the social aspect due to the fact that often there is little interaction with humans and not enough proper interaction with other animals (beyond breeding). People are sometimes too quick to jump in and adopt a puppy mill dog before they realize they are commiting to HELPING this animal, not just bringing it home. They need to commit to work patiently with this pet for however long it takes to win trust and form a bond. I had a friend that volunteered at a shelter after a large confiscation of puppy mill dogs and several where returned due to the lack of effort on their human adopters part. Many of the adopters had unreal expectations that the dog would settle right into their new life in 1-2 weeks but it really takes longer than that. I think of it as going into the woods and finding "Nell" (the character Jodie Foster played in the movie "Nell") and taking her straight to the Mall of America....These little dogs are just as overwhelmed coming into a household situation as "Nell" would be going into the Mall of America.
So please if you plan to adopt....that is so GREAT!......BUT, you need to be patient and slowly form a bond with your new little furry friend...don't rush it....and please don't give up too soon!

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

You're right. A friend of mine adopted a female dog that had been used for breeding in a puppy mill. Thankfully the woman who rescued the dog has lots of experience and patience, as this poor dog was terrified of everything as a result of lack of socialization and living in a cage her whole life. The woman is doing a wonderful job with the dog and I've seen lots of progress. But it definitely takes a lot of dedication, patience, and hard work to help these dogs learn to live a normal life.

MsBoss

MsBoss

Puppy mills have got to go! So many puppies/dogs need adopting from shelters...I wish folks would consider these sources by visiting the shelters and not looking just for a purebred. As a matter of fact, purebreds come into the shelters all the time! But unless you visit them, you wouldn't know that. As for the guy that wanted a dog "because it was cheaper"...he should not be allowed to adopt because it is the wrong reason for getting a loyal and loving companion. If he is worried about the price now, what's to say he won't be "cheap" when it comes to the care and nutrition of the newest member of the family?

Diane H.

Diane H.

Good point. People don't realize just because these dogs are selling for less, they may require medical treatment and special care. Not everyone is cut out for that, especially people who are just looking for a "good deal".

MsBoss

MsBoss

Thank you for your comments.

Alexandrea

Alexandrea

I just hate puppy mills! I got Gizzmo from a Puppy Mill. He had fleas and a rash. And later on he had Liver problems. But I wouldn't trade him for any other dog!

Janie P.

Janie P.

I hope that soon there will be no more puppy mills. I hope they don't let Byron Fulton have a dog after the comment he made (somebody has to breed them), or maybe they should make him tour a puppy mill so he can see the cruel conditions they are forced to live in.

Suzanne L.

Suzanne L.

People wanting these dogs need to really be informed and to think ahead before they adopt. The poor dogs have had a miserable life so far. They need loving, devoted owners who can take care of all of their special needs for the life of the animal.

kathi j.

kathi j.

Spent "ten years of its life in a puppy mill" just broke my heart!! I can only imagine how challenging raising these dogs will be. I seriously hope that the shelter is EXTREMELY selective in its adoptions of these poor animals. They need to go to the right home.

Stacy H.

Stacy H.

I would like to see puppy mills done away with but until people get over the status of having a purebred dog, they won't be going anywhere. One guy in the news cast said he was there to adopt one of the rescues because it was cheaper, is this someone who needs a dog?

Amanda C.

Amanda C.

That guy who wanted the dog cause it was "cheaper" is going to have a rude awakening when he gets it home and realizes he has a special needs animal because of the conditions that the dog was living in! It is too bad that people aren't so excited to get rescued dogs all the time not just when they are purebred.

elll e.

elll e.

they really need to get things under control!!!! what a shame!

Dawn H.

Dawn H.

I don't think we need to shut down breeders I just think there needs to be more control and inspections over what breeders do or not do. More regulations, fines, and more inspections will reduce the problems and issues that are going on now. We have so many charities and organizations why can't each state create a organization that can hire enough staff to keep an eye out on breeders. I for one would donate if it would mean I could stop those breeders out there that causing pain and suffering to the animals that are making them money.

Barbara R.

Barbara R.

The last comment in the video is so true. If purebred dogs were less desirable, puppy mills would go out of business. Hope some of the folks on that line that are too late to get one of the puppy mill dogs, look at what else is available in the shelter. Every dog there deserves a home. The dog in the lead photo is really too precious for words and really pulls at your heart.

Dani M.

Dani M.

We'eve seen dogs come through our rescue that were straight out of the puppy mills. One of the better offs got out at only 2yrs breeding. She had never seen grass before and was underweight. The rest of the ones we see are the smaller dogs, poodles, poms, papillions, yorkis, maltese, chihuahua's..
And dispite being in puppymill central so so SO many people dont seem to have any idea whats really going on. No clue the suffering behind those petland overpriced financing optional puppies. And no one seems to be willing to show them the digusting and heartbreaking truth on a large enough scale to sink it into their heads.
Good luck to those who are getting their second, and for all to many, their first chance at a home and a life.

Susan

Susan

A cousin of mine adopted a Golden Retriever who had been confined and bred for her first five years of life. That poor dog vomited up rocks she had swallowed. Her teeth were worn down from chewing on the rocks. It took over a year before she would even lift her head to look at her new loving parents. She had five good years as a family member before the earlier years of abuse took their final toll on her.

What a shame.

Linda B.

Linda B.

I've seen some of the puppy mill dogs that have come through our shelter. Some are extremely shy, never having been played with or given a bath or any other kindness. They require a lot of patience and people do need to know up front what to expect.

Amber J.

Amber J.

I think it is horrible that they can treat dog like that.Also people need to know what they are getting them selfs into and then they can't handle it and the same thing happens again.It is so sad.I wish I could take them all home it just breaks my heart.

Flo A.

Flo A.

I had always heard about "puppy mills" but never understood what they were or how they operated. Isn't there some kind of regulation in place for animal (especially dog) breeders? It breaks my heart that people are so casual about what breed of dog they select. Then when they discover the animal isn't what they expected, they toss it away like a piece of trash. I have three "adoptees" and while it has not been a cake walk, I would not give them up for the world. They are my best friends!!

bridget b.

bridget b.

This can be an opportunity to educate people on the ills of puppy mills and how some breeders/petstores perpetuate cruelty to animals for the almighty dollar. Very sad.

Diane C.

Diane C.

Like any other field, you have pros and cons. The puppy mills demonstrate the cons of the dog world. Then you have unethical and back yard breeders that lack knowledge and experience which adds the pet population problem. Yes, there are good ethical breeders trying to make a difference in the breed they love. The current poor economy is taking a toll on all pets in the U.S.. Puppy mills need to end, but the other breeders need to rethink their breeding practices as well.

I am glad these dogs are out of those horrible conditions. I hope everyone finds a home.

Kadiquilts

Kadiquilts

I don't believe that if "people wouldn't care what their dogs were, puppy mills wouldn't exist". I think people have a right to own the kind of dog they want--not all dogs are for all people. It is GREED that creates puppy mills....There are many compassionate people out there who breed dogs and treat them lovingly and respectfully.

Trish R.

Trish R.

It's great that the shelter is counseling adopters on the road ahead...the last thing you want a poor dog that has been through so much is to end up homeless because their new family just didn't understand the responsibility involved. But it's still heartwarming to see people willing to adopt, rather than shop. :)

Renee W.

Renee W.

I hope a lot of time goes into the consideration fo who will take acre of this puppy mill pups. news and a good deal should not be the main reason that people adopt..

Lisamarshall821

Lisamarshall821

Sounds like some of the people were just looking for a good deal on a dog. Hopefully the dogs went to people who knew what they were in for and the dogs won't end up back at a shelter due to problems.

Kadiquilts

Kadiquilts

Everyone should do research before adopting a pet. I agree that most people don't know what they are getting into.

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

I agree. It seems like some people just wanted a purebred dog for a cheap price.

Chellie G.

Chellie G.

These people are doing a kind thing by adopting puppy mill dogs, but I hope they realize what they are getting into. Puppy mill dogs come with a whole lot of behavioral and emotional issues. Hopefully they've done their homework or else the dogs will just end up in shelters possibly euthanized.

Traci B.

Traci B.

interesting story

Tonia F.

Tonia F.

I never knew this happens at puppy mills. Make me open up my eyes and see how MEAN they can be.

322mark

322mark

There is no reason that these animals had to go through this. Breeding dogs for profit when we have so many at animal shelters that need good homes. I don't understand how people can treat animals like this.

LadySB

LadySB

Those poor puppies. I don't understand how people can be so cruel. Im so glad those animals were rescues and I hope they all find good homes.

Angel S.

Angel S.

Any time you adopt a dog you need to take into consideration the cost of raising the dog and the health of the dog.

Connie G.

Connie G.

I despise all the people out there that want to make a living off of breeding animals. I think they should put a stop to anyone breeding for money period. Like they said, if the buyers out there would stop wanting all these fancy purebreds or special breeds, then there wouldn't be any puppy mills.

Shannon W.

Shannon W.

I agree, two of my three dogs are muts and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

ESMITH192

ESMITH192

ALL PUPPY MILLS ARE BAD SOME CARE ABOUT THERE ANIMALS AND ARE VERY GOOD ABOUT CARING FOR AND FINDING LOVING HOMES FOR ALL

Lottie C.

Lottie C.

Im glad someone stopped the madness!!!!!!

jennifer g.

jennifer g.

thank god the puppies are out of there.

Oldmaidcatwoman

Oldmaidcatwoman

This makes me so sad--the puppy mill dogs live in horrible conditions and then must be taken out and cleaned up just in time to sell them to a pet store??????

deb o.

deb o.

i hope the people who take these dogs are truly ready for the lifelong committment. i'd hate to see the dogs come back to the shelter.

Carly T.

Carly T.

I HATE PUPPY MILLS!!!

Yes, people need to be informed about the condition of these poor dogs...but I'm grateful that there are people willing to save them!

Sebogard

Sebogard

Getting a puppy for a "good deal" is not a reason to adopt a dog and those people should be ashamed of themselves for creating a market where puppy mills can exist. Hopefully, the good-hearted people who came to adopt the puppies for the right reasons will take the dogs to their loving homes. I have two rescue mutts and feel very strongly about these sort of stories.

Em C.

Em C.

Puppy mills need to be stopped they are not doing any good by breeding them or even existing. Puppy mills just make sacred, sickly, timid puppies that later have problems and die. They are not the way to breed more dogs and who ever supports them is really stupid and doesn't see the problem they have created.

Gail

Gail

My Cooper spent his whole life in a kennel never touching grass until I got him, he still has emotional issues I believe will be with him for his entire life, but he is the most loving dog ever.

carole e.

carole e.

Poor babies. I wish I had the time to rescue a dog or cat. I still have kids that take up too much of my time. One day they will be grown and out of my home and I will find that pet that needs me.

Sandy

Sandy

I adopted a puppy mill dog from a large scale bust in W. Virginia. I will agree that most of these willing to adopt people do not know exactly what kind of behaviors that they will encounter from puppy mill dogs. It has been 6 months since I adopted Missy and we have gone through behaviors such as: total fear of humans, she would literally defecate all over herself if you tried to pick her up. Another behavior that we have almost completely eliminated is, eating her own feses, which comes from having been kept in a small cage all her life and trying to keep her own space clean and or from lack of food. The only thing I hope is that these people understand what could be coming their way and get advice on how to help these dogs through this terrifying time. They will become the some of the most loyal dogs you could possible own. I love Missy, she has made so many changes for the better. This time next year she will be as close to normal as you can get.

Jodi S.

Jodi S.

AHS has taken dogs from hoarders and other small-scale puppy mill like situations in the past, and we do the same thing as this Florida shelter: potential adopters can have their pick of the available dogs, but we make sure they understand the type of commitment it may take thanks to lack of socialization and ongoing health issues.

di

di

ban and ban again puppy mills, I can not see what good it does the industry, the breed, AKC, or any other non mentioned organization including the owner or future owner.

Chrissy

Chrissy

I think its great so many people wanted to adopt but they are right about the precautions. If i had the time and money I would adopt themcare for them and get them comfortable with people and then find them a good home and start the process over again.

Elisa D.

Elisa D.

Although the article painted it like everyone was there to get a cheap dog, I don't think that's what motivated most of the people to wait 4 hours in line just to get in and see them. I think it was having compassion for these poor little guys. At least that's what I'd like to hope and what I've seen in relation to people who take on puppy mill dogs. I am fostering one now and I definitely think that people need to be counseled on how to help them - because you have to relate to them on a dog level. And you can't deal with them the same way as a well-socialized dog. (With my rescue organization) I see potential adopters who just don't get it with less traumatized dogs, so counseling for these adopters is a must!

Kate H.

Kate H.

One person is hoping to get a Maltese because its cheaper then getting it at the store, are you serious? They should be the last person to get one of those poor puppies. I have seen first hand the trauma of these poor dogs. When I worked at the shelter we rescued 35 dogs from a local puppy mill, those dogs were so mess up in the head it was so sad. They were so terrified of grass and people when we put them in the outside runs to clean their cages they would just huddle in the corner and just pee on each other over and over again. They had done that for so long that their fur on the sides of their bodies were permanently stained. One was so crazy he ran around in a circle all day long non stop, even when you took him outside to walk him, he never stopped. Its so sad

Meg S.

Meg S.

I am sure there are good people among a few bad apples who truly want to provide a loving home for a dog in need. It is not horrible that people want to have a purebred dog.

B W.

B W.

People are basically so good. They often come through when given the opportunity.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ... 11 |