Thu, Mar 4 | By Gabrielle Jonas | 14

For Dixie, a 4-year-old Chocolate Labrador, the trip last September from the Charlotte Douglas International Airport in North Carolina turned out to be no vacation. As baggage handlers transported Dixie between the cargo facility and the… more ›

Pet Travel: Safety Tips to Prevent the Loss of Your Animal
di

di

good advice, tags and area codes on phone numbers, I would place all contact info, micro chip any resource and there would still be the chance of a blunder....good advice

My heart goes out to the families who have lost their pets due to the negligence of these airline workers. To be honest with you, as long as no one is allergic onboard, your pet should be with you, not in cargo!

remember the whippet from westminster who got away when loading and has never been found

Kris

Kris

I feel for the owners who have lost pets, even though I am sure it is a very small percentage and most pets arrive safely at their destination. I did fly Eboni one time in an emergency and fortunately there were no problems. I would have been devastated.

these problems are very hard to read about. you know one day it could be mine

Olivia T.

Olivia T.

I would hate for something to happen like that to my dog that's why I take my dog every were I travel.

to much of this has been happening in the past few years. remember the westminster whippet from a few years ago. that still has not been found. very expencive mistake on the part of the airline

Bowne

Bowne

I feel for the owners of Dixie and Moya. What a tragedy. Something like this really should not happen. I would have been crushed if it were my pet. Hopefully, their stories will help the industry make changes so things like this won't happen again!

AirborneanimalsLLC

AirborneanimalsLLC

As a professinal pet tranpsorter, my first reaction is that this accident was caused by oversite - the bolts and screws were not tight. It is impossible for a dog to "pop the screws" if the crate is put together appropriately.

Secondly, the USDA does not "approve" crates. The Animal Welfare Act stipulates how crates mut be sized for the comfort of a pet, but no authority anywhere actaully regulates crate production. There are a great many cheap (and I don't mean just in price) crates out there, and may are unsuitable for air transport, even though the manufaturer may label them "airline approved". Professional pet shippers usually rely on Varikennels or Skykennls, because they have the best construction (they are also about the most expensive crates, but you get what you pay for).

Crates are meant to hold a pet securely, without the cable ties, but most airlines are using them now as a backup. they whould be releable ties however, as plain zip ties are impossible to remove without a knife or scissors to cut them - a hazard if an emergency occurs and the pet needs to be removed from the crate quickly.

Airlines have vastly imporved their staff training and pet care programs in the last 10-15 years. Using a professional pet shipper can also be of benefit, since we know all the rules and safety issues that need to be addressed. The Independent Pet and Animal Transportation Association (www.ipata.com) is an international association of independent pet tranportation businesses who take their jobs quite seriously, and can be of help moving a pet if the owner can't or doesn't want to handle it themselves.

thank you for this info. i am not sure with the sticker saying it was safe i would have realized

Kris

Kris

lots of good information. thanks for sharing.

i think we would all be crushed. i can't even imagine being tod when i got off the plane that my pet was dead