Sun, Mar 6 | By Margo Ann Sullivan | 5

A fire department uses innovative gear to rescue pets. Jan. 16, 2008, developed into a fateful day for Zoe, a Chihuahua struck by a car outside an Austin, Texas shopping center, and for Temple Thomas, district commander of the Austin-Travis Cou… more ›

Pet Oxygen Masks Help Save the Day
Mary G.

Mary G.

Obviously, every fire department in every town in every city in every state should be equipped with pet oxygen masks. They should be as much a part of the equipment as the hose and the ax, but unfortunately this is just wishful thinking.

it never ceases to amaze me how many ways our fireman can find to be heros.

We are lucky people in this world to have as much technology in our lives as we do so why do some people treat the enviroment so badly I took my dog outside in the front yard on her leash the other day in the morning cause my grandma was bringing over a homemade pie and I walked my dog over by the apartments next door while I waited for her and did not go any further and went back to the other side of the yard with Skitters to wait for my grandma when I discovered ciggerette butts on the ground in my yard all over the place from the neighbors.

Peter4Dogs

Peter4Dogs

There are actually quite a few departments acquiring and been sponsored by generous members of their community across North America. A Virginia based company called Wag'N has a map on its website that keeps track of all the ones they help and from stories like this one. Its at
www.wagn4u.com/map_of_departments_that_have_pet_oxygen_masks.html
Through their sponsor page people, companies and rescue groups can sponsor their fire department. They even offer training material included with the price of the kit. Their program page is www.wagn4u.com/pet_oxygen_mask_kits.html
If you want to read more success stories like this one you can also check out their pet oxygen mask blog where they post success stories, news articles, and a monthly summary of which departments are getting them.
www.petoxygenmask.blogspot.com
Contact them on their website and ask them to have this story posted on their blog so it can be added to their map if its not already. Its a great story!
They had a recent blog post on a story where the hospital actually charged the owners of a house that completely burned down and firefighters took it on themselves to help cover the vet bill. So kudos to this vet clinic for their charitable help and for the rescuer of course who helped the furry little guys and proceeded with the adoption!