Pet Escapes Injury while Playing Fetch
ENGLAND – While playing fetch, a Rottweiler was impaled by the stick he was trying to chase.
Lee Murray threw a stick for his two-year-old Rottweiler, City when the stick bounced on the ground as the dog jumped on top of it.
Murray said he was absolutely horrified and immediately put City into his car to rush him to the vet.
Michelle Calvert, head nurse at the Buchanan Veterinary Group said the force of his strength and weight must have caused the stick to lodge in his torso near the back of his right hip.
Head Vet at the office in Greater Manchester, Dr. Allisdhair McNaull said it’s common to see injuries caused by playing fetch with a stick. He said when dogs run with sticks, the stick can be pushed to the back of the mouth and cause damage. He recommends playing with a ball or rubber toy instead.
Fortunately for City, the stick did not penetrate any of his organs. He received 17 stitches after his 90-minute surgery.
Murray’s family said they were very upset when they heard about the incident and plan on buying City some new toys.
Tell us what you think under this story. Post your favorite pet videos at the zootooTV tab. E-mail us your story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 877-777-4204.
We’ve all grown accustomed to the many fundraisers and charitable events that the pet industry produces for homeless pets. From pet food companies… more ›