Tue, Jan 29 | By Matt Van Hoven | 858

SECAUCUS, N.J. - Electric fences have become an advantageous tool for many dog owners looking for alternatives to traditional yard enclosures. One Maryland town is exploring whether to regulate this somewhat controversial technology. A … more ›

Md. City Could Regulate Electric Fences

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ... 9 |

Oldmaidcatwoman

Oldmaidcatwoman

I would prefer to see electric fences banned entirely. I wonder about all the drawbacks other commenters have written about. Too many things can go wrong to keep the dog really safe. Yes, an electric fence is much nicer looking than traditional fencing, but I would rather see an ugly fence and a dog that is truly safe.

Katie M.

Katie M.

I don't like electric fences, but it's up to everyone else what they think about them.

Gari

Gari

My sister and brother-in-law put in an invisible fence that both their dogs respected. But all it took was one deer running through their property to get the dogs to forget the collar. The deer and Marshall made it across the street, but Casey didn't!

marc h.

marc h.

I can see where this could be an issue. They should require that people keep dogs confined to the back yard and well away from sidewalks and streets

ArthurCurtis

ArthurCurtis

I don't know if this would be a viable choice/restriction but it makes perfect sense as a solution

BHOLTZ

BHOLTZ

I can see where that could be an issue. Fencing should be limited to the back yard and away from roads and sidewalks.

BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Not crazy about electric fences. They don't keep other critters from getting into your yard.

Jenn E.

Jenn E.

I wouldn't trust an electric fence anyway. I don't think those fences are as reliable as some people think.

Wendie

Wendie

Wow, I don't quite get this. They want to create laws about how close to the sidewalks / human walkway invisible fencing can get, BUT do they have any rules that actually say "You must have a fence of some sort for your dog" ?? To me, making all sorts of rules and ordinances about something like invisible fencing encourages people to be less responsible and not fence in their pets at all....

Rhonda T.

Rhonda T.

this is an interesting article. We use invisible fencing with our husky and eskimo. It works great and keeps them safe. I don't know how it would work as a mandatory thing because it does take weeks of training with the pet and commitment from the owner.

Chitown

Chitown

I've never used this kind of fencing, but I might some day. I'm glad to hear it works well if a person takes a little time and makes the effort with one's dog.

Sistertex

Sistertex

I know that we have greyhounds and they suddenly ZIP....elec fences don't always stop them because they are so focused and take off so quickly by the time anything hits them they are on the wrong side and are afraid to come back in...which they will do at a more concious regular pace. I had a neighbor who's daughter let their hound out without the collar on. The daughter then grabbed the collar and went to look for the dog who had left the yead. The funny part (and yes I have kind of a strange sense of humor) is that the kid was shocked (though mildly) twice carrying the collar around looking for the dog. (thought she deserved it. ;) )

HomePro

HomePro

Interesting points...

Sarah  W.

Sarah W.

I don't really like the idea of electric fences.

Andy K.

Andy K.

I never thought of this as an issue. I don't like the idea of electric fences and prefer that people take the time to train their animals. But there is a good point to giving more of a buffer between the electric fence and the sidewalk. If I were afraid of dogs, I would like there to be more of a space than just a few feet. But the real solution goes back to training and finding responsible owners.

Meg S.

Meg S.

I am opposed to the use electric fences but what most people fail to do when they have them installed is TRAIN THE DOG. The electric fence is not a quick fix but requires training. And even with the proper training, etc....there are things that will cause the dog to go through the fence anyway because they see something that is just too tempting.
I would love a dollar for every stray dog that has come in to the shelter with an electric fence collar on........

Marty T.

Marty T.

You are right on, Meg. What people don't realize is that other dogs, cats and wild life can still enter the area, causing injury to their own pet. Plus, it doesn't work on all dogs. They will run through the fence in a chase but not run back. Now we have a dog running at large!

Ralph M.

Ralph M.

I don't believe in electric fences. Even if they keep your dog inside(usually they don't). They do nothing to keep unwanted animals out, wild or domestic. A chain link fence istalled properly is not unattractive. Would you leave your children in a similar situation? I hope not.

Ann G.

Ann G.

Way to go, Louisville and Albuquerque! These fences are so unreliable. I'm surprised that a "charging dog" would be stopped at all. I hope that more regulations such as these spread around the country. We are constantly having to educate people who adopt from our shelter on the limitations of electric fencing. A physical fence is always a better choice!

DEREKDEMANE

DEREKDEMANE

Well unfortunately, this type of business isn't going away any time soon. I guess it does serve its purpose and there must be some tinkering on existing regulations. I for one wouldn't recommend to any one leaving their pet unattended out in their yard for any reason. It's not the four legged predators that you have to worry about it's the two legged ones and I don't care how good your e;electric fence works it will not stop invading 4 or 2 legged predators. But like I said , this business isn't going away anytime soon.

Cassie T.

Cassie T.

No way, electric shock.....NEVER. It says that with their thick fur coat on a husky it dampens the shock, ITS STILL SHOCK. Im so good on shocking my dogs, I will keep them on a leash and I think we will all do just fine. I dont get where the electric fence makes you feel safe to leave your dog unattended outside with no barriers......they are just dogs, give them a physical barrier and they will understand, due to the natural of my huskys one day I may have to just suck it up and get 10 foot fences, until then, the leash is great for me and them. In crazy society now days, you can even buy up to 100ft leads, who woulda thunk? The electric fence is pure lazyness, and uneffective.

Alexis93

Alexis93

I hate these fences and would never use one-ever!

Morgan

Morgan

I like a traditional fenced yard. My sister has her 2 dogs using a electric fence. It works for her, so fine.

D. J. C.

D. J. C.

First I guess I should admit that my husband and I are in the business of underground pet containment fencing so everyone will know where I'm coming from. But, let me state that the fences do work and the "correction" (I've never like the term shock) that a pet receives is uncomfortable, yes, but doesn't really hurt the pet. My husband will put the receiver in a potential customer's hand or even a child's to let them feel what their pet is going to feel. Chances are if a dog is getting out that is on a fence system, the battery in the receiver needs to be changed or it wasn't trained properly to begin with. If a pet owner is responsible, he will make sure to change the battery on a schedule to make sure it functions correctly and consistently, just like getting the oil changed in a vehicle to make sure it continues to run.

As far as people getting startled when walking by a yard where a dog or dogs are contained when they come running out, one or more "yard signs" posted at the corners of a yard should give warning to anyone walking past the house. As someone pointed out in another comment, in a lot of subdivisions, yards are small and regulating the footage back from a sidewalk or whatever in front would mean no area for the pet at all. A lot of our customers opt for allowing the dogs to use the backyard only or using the back yard and just a portion of the front.

Yes, unfortunately, these fences do not keep other dogs from coming into a yard that has an underground fence. But, there again, other dogs roaming loose like that is a result of irresponsible pet owners that don't or just won't contain their own pets. That is a situation where the telephone is picked up and the local animal control is called to try and remedy the situation (hopefully, there already a leash law in effect).

Anyway, I just wanted to put my two cents worth in to say that the fences do work and they are not inhumane to pets. Inhumane is letting a pet out and it getting hit by a car or I've known pets to get run over by motorcycles (and the pets can cause accidents by drivers trying to avoid hitting them). Also, these type of fences are much more affordable to homeowners and they can be taken with them when/if they move. Take the transmitter, the receiver and the pet to a new home and all there is to having another fence is the cost of the wire going in the ground.

Hauler

Hauler

They should be regulated if they are going to allow them at all.

Anna

Anna

I don't like the electric fence idea. Other dogs can get in and potentially harm somebody's dog! Also, I'd assume that the shock would have a bad effect on dogs. Its like punishing them for something they didn't do. They don't know why they're getting zapped. It would scare them badly!

Michelle H.

Michelle H.

I don't like these fences either. First of all they don't stop other animals from entering the yard. A friend of mine had a dog that had a lot of problems caused by fear of this type of fence. I know lots of people think their great.

Sistertex

Sistertex

I agree, don't see the point if other dogs can just wonder in. I'd rather a substancial *fence* keeping everyone in their place.

D. Rene

D. Rene

I am not a fan of electric fences.

LynnLucyDoris

LynnLucyDoris

I would not feel comfortable using an electric fence for my dog. The dog is too visible and could become prey to another animal or a victim of theft. In any case, you should never leave your dog outside unsupervised.

Ashlee S.

Ashlee S.

Agreed!

Doug M.

Doug M.

Good issues on both sides of this one...well written. The electric fences do really work and keep dogs from running wild...but they can give a false sense of security to home owners...probably each owner should agree to a battery replacement program each year to keep the shocks coming!

TimDemp30

TimDemp30

I think it is a good idea to regulate electronic fences. They make me very nervous. I understand they do the job, but I would be concerned about a big dog bursting thru it. I can understand why folks could be nervous while walking with their kids near a house that has one. Anything to make folks feel safer is a good thing.

Satana H.

Satana H.

We had to use this system as a back-up because our dog constantly busted thru our fence. We tested the shock on ourselves to be sure it wasn't too much and our dog learned right away to stay back. I'm glad they are implementing some laws but I really think it should only be a back up, not for an open yard.

mARY ANN M.

mARY ANN M.

I disagree with the shock collar theory based not only on the flaws in the system (sometimes it does not work) but on the negative reinforcement instead of positive reinforcement system. I suggest that people use regular fences and if they are not allowed to have a fence then they just have to walk to dog daily for excersize, as another commenter mentioned.

And if an owner is willing to give the dog continuing electrical shocks so their yard can look pretty, I have to question their empathy for their dog. If it is raining, how more severe is the shock by the way?

Adaira  R.

Adaira R.

I believe electric fences equals lazy owners. Take your dogs out on a leash or walk it!

Louise P.

Louise P.

I don't agree with electric fences just because they are not reliable. If your housing area does not allow a permanent fence then you will just have to keep your dog inside and walk it. Otherwise a permanent fence is better and more humane.

TimDemp30

TimDemp30

I'm not a big fan of the electric fence. I think it's cruel to the dog, and I would still worry that they could get out. And yes, they could scare people walking by. Why not just invest in a regular fence.

Jill6Johnson

Jill6Johnson

I am not a fan of these fences. My daughter was attacked by a dog that crossed one of these one time.

Jholt

Jholt

I'm not big on the invisible fence, not very reliable, even dogs with collars will some times run through and other dogs can run into your yard and start a fight with your dog, and I can imagine how fearful some people would be seeing a dog charging at them like that.

bonnie

bonnie

i am not a fan of the invisible fence

Melissa7271

Melissa7271

I agree there should be some regulations regarding the distance from the sidewalk and/ or street but I am not real fond of these electric fences.

Jim  S.

Jim S.

I'm not a fan of these so I think it would be a good idea.

Iseeurn

Iseeurn

tough subject

Tanya F.

Tanya F.

I think that if I had a choice of a dog being in an invisible fence or no fence at all or a chainlink fence, I would use the chainlink fence first but the invisible fence is better than no fence at all.. I have seen too many dogs hit by car because they have no fence and if your worried about a shock where they usually get a warning first then what about the pain from the car. I have seen many dogs where the invisible fence works wonderfully and if the dog is trained correctly, they know how to not get shocked.

linda s.

linda s.

these fences are not as effective as one may think. if a dog see something outside this barrier he wants bad enough he will cross it. not to mention your animal is NOT protected by whatever wants in

Linda W.

Linda W.

If its not regulated, they is so much room for misuse. I sure don't want to see any animals hurt.

Sarah M.

Sarah M.

I think it all depends on the dogs personality on whether or not electric fences are the way to go. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is.

WANSTREET

WANSTREET

If your neighborhood does not allow fencing your yard then electric fencing is an option. It has lots of pros and cons and just depends on circumstances. It doesn't guarantee that your dog will stay in and it definately doesn't keep other animals out. I have thought about an electric fence and my yard is fenced but my dog occasionally goes over it. The grass is greener.

SandyReedy

SandyReedy

I don't know much about electric fences, but if they don't keep other dogs out, what good are they? If your dogs are inside animals, take them out on a leash. If they are outside animals, fence in your back yard. That is what I do, and don't have a problem.

Hymcheng

Hymcheng

I think electric fences are a cruel way of controlling a dog.

5doxiemom

5doxiemom

I think their code for invisible fences seems reasonable but it should also include the size of the yard maybe

Sharon L.

Sharon L.

I think invisible fences should be a personal choice, not done by force. However, animals should
be kept at home one way or another.

Cheryl L.

Cheryl L.

I have been frightened as well by this.

Cortney T.

Cortney T.

These fences do not stop the natural instincts of dogs.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ... 9 |