Fri, Apr 11 | By Emily Zeugner, AP | 239

NEW YORK (AP) -- When Aaron Jones walks Gozer, his Rottweiler-hound mix, people cross the street to avoid them. Mothers scoop up their children. A lost motorist once rolled up the windows and drove off after spotting the dog. One woman screamed.
more ›

Large, Black Dogs go Unwanted

1 | 2 | 3 |

Laura  J.

Laura J.

This is so sad. We have a rescued black lab who could not be a sweeter, more gentle and loving pet. I had no idea this bias against black dogs existed until reading about it on Zootoo.

Blackie1

Blackie1

Was not aware of this problem. I could see a problem adopting large dogs just because they need more space, but not for the color

Rhonda T.

Rhonda T.

This is a sad situation. Some of the nicest dogs I know are big black dogs. I have one of them and he is the biggest teddy bear.

Edie Jo N.

Edie Jo N.

Sad thet people judge before meeting the dogs. My Rotties are sweeties but, people do tend to be cautious around them.

LauraPudge

LauraPudge

I just joined zootoo and put out the question about black dogs....I adoped my black mutt almost 2 years ago and I do notice people tend to shy away and children can show fear at times. I have been with other people and their dogs who are not black and almost everytime, I have observed and experienced people and children who tend to go to the "other" dog first before mine. I am a very light hearted, friendly person, always smiling at people when my dog and I pass someone on a walk and most of the time, people look at my dog first, than look up, smile at me and keep walking. It seems the only people that talk to me about my dog are true dog lovers who find him very interesting looking and want to know what he is etc....I had the DNA test done and found out he is 5 equal parts of a Borzoi, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Rottweiller and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.....the only way I can describe his face is that it looks something like a black Great Dane puppy with brown eyes....he is a very happy boy and wants to approach and love everyone he sees, yet I still get this reaction from people. However, I would still adopt a black dog. Color has nothing to do with the type of dog you can have.

Ethan W.

Ethan W.

so sad cause black animals are beautiful. They should start a "Black is Beautiful" campaign for pets!

BHOLTZ

BHOLTZ

My daughter has a black pit bull and she's beautiful. Black is such a glossy color.

marc h.

marc h.

Black is such a stunning color, especially on cats.

Betty W.

Betty W.

Black dogs and black cats. So odd becasue I love the color on animals.

Buckking

Buckking

This is a problem everywhere it is not just dogs but black, cats and kittens go un wanted, peoople are looking for something a little colorful but black dogs and cats are just as loving as others

Geoff L.

Geoff L.

I think it's just that there are so many of them.

L.H.S.

L.H.S.

We really don't have a problem getting large black dogs adopted at our shelter, even though we live in Georgia. Black cats, on the other hand are difficult to place.

barb  a.

barb a.

Black dogs and cats and rabbits , are not what people want they dont look deeper than the color, Black dogs rule!

deb a.

deb a.

This story is so true, I worked in a shelter dog or cat if they are black, very very few found homes, many were put to death, in our area black lab, or black lab cross puppies come in unless they are the only puppies they are overlooked, this story I hope will open the eyes of the public and they will look deeper than the color of the dog, I have 3 black labs, 1 yellow and 1 chocolate and they all learn at the same level, give affection at the same level,,,they are no differnet
Adopt a black dog or cat, they give unconditional love

DEREKDEMANE

DEREKDEMANE

There's stereotyping in the animal world.

Oldmaidcatwoman

Oldmaidcatwoman

How depressing--so many sweet big black dogs are out there.

mike z.

mike z.

never got this personally, i go looking for the black dogs.

Andy K.

Andy K.

True but sad. Whenever people come to us adopt, I ask them about the size of the dog they are looking for and the demeanor. I tell them to try to ignore the look of the dog since that, while important, is second, third, or fourth to demeanor.

Meg S.

Meg S.

This is very true. And I think it just has a lot to do with the color. People are just not a drawn to black or the dark brindle. Same as with cats....most people do not like torties or black cats.
The public just love the small to medium size fluffy or benji looking dogs at the shelter I work for. And of course, no shedding as the kids have allergies.

Mark J.

Mark J.

This is crazy! All I know is that when we get a large black dog in, I'm usually the one that gets him adopted, it kind of fell in my lap since I got this huge crazy black lab adopted that we had rescued from a shelter in NC, Happy stayed in our shelter for 6 months. Happy was the first dog that I got adopted by myself. I talked to the ppl about him for like an hour. It was a great day when that big baby went home.

Cindy

Cindy

<span>this comment has been removed from the system</span>

Sarah  W.

Sarah W.

Jesus, What has this world come to?

Cindy

Cindy

<span>this comment has been removed from the system</span>

Sarah  W.

Sarah W.

I mean, people are crazy for fearing black dogs. they are the same as all the rest.

Cindy

Cindy

<span>this comment has been removed from the system</span>

MaxxieBrown

MaxxieBrown

I've had white, brown, and black dogs. Never realizing there was a Big Black Dog Syndrome. I love my black animals. I think they are very elegant looking.

My brother has a Big Black Rotten/Lab who is as gentle as a lamb. And I mean BIG all 180 pounds of him. There's only thing I don't care for, his drool puss. But that's not because he's black. He towers over me when he thinks I want a hug.

Jessica H.

Jessica H.

i have never heard of people being scared of big black dogs. it is sad that is happening though

Berrypatch573

Berrypatch573

This is unfortunately true. It happens because of generalizing about vicious dogs in real life and evil dogs in movies, and people who are uneducated about dogs develop these incorrect ideas, leaving the rest of us to try to save the many, many unwanted black dogs. It's a sad situation.

Julie

Julie

Well, that was interesting. I never thought about a big black dog being mean. I mean a rottweiler or pit yes, but a lab. Labs are the sweetest dogs that I have come across. I hope they get the awareness out about these poor unwanted dogs.

Judy M.

Judy M.

I've had two big, black dogs in my life. One was a lab/dane mix, the other a lab/collie mix. The one that was lab/dane was over 100 lbs. He was the most gentle, loving animal a pet guardian could ask for. The lab/collie mix was also a wonderful dog.

Coleen  K.

Coleen K.

I had actually read something about this shortly before I started looking for a dog last fall. Because of this, I decided to specifically look for black dogs while I was searching. And I hit the jackpot. I could not have asked for a better dog than Apollo. He is the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever known. And believe me, he's more scared of you than you are of him! He's actually quite shy and timid. It is my plan to go back to the no-kill shelter where I got Apollo and get the other black lab mix that was his pen-mate later this summer. Two black dogs saved! Don't get me wrong, they all deserve loving, kind, generous homes. I just find myself always wanting to be an advocate of the underDOG. :-)

Frzframe

Frzframe

This is so true. Black dogs are not wanted and are often over looked and passed over time and time again. Black dogs need families and love too.

D. Rene

D. Rene

My sister took in a big black lab after another next door neighbor left the dog when he moved. He is the sweetest thing. But because he is big....the yard, the carpet, etc. have worn down faster. So I can understand the big part but why black...

I thought it was more of a shedding issue (black hair, light carpets, etc.), but I have to say I love black dogs & cats!

heather l.

heather l.

ive heard alot about this lately how crazy is this. and how stupid my cat was black and was the best cat ever had!!!!!!!!!!!11

Labluvr

Labluvr

I am so glad attention is being brought to this topic. I think for years there really wasn't any information on this issue, it was just kind of thing you knew but didn't know if other shelters and rescues were experiencing the same problem. Thanks to articles like this and websites such as blackpearldogs.com - people are becoming aware and will hopefully consider their options when they are leaning towards the light coated dog.

parker e.

parker e.

my local shelter has the black dog sale ever so often. My mother in law has three big black labs. I do find that people tend to be more weary of them. Odd huh?

Carryl D.

Carryl D.

I've never heard of this.. this stinks!!! Its funny though, the last time I went to adopt a dog from a shelter, I asked to be shown one that been there the longest and I came home with a black dog! Just goes to show you how ignorant people can be.

wendy T.

wendy T.

The same is true for black cats as well. They are often over looked in shelters.

parker e.

parker e.

I believe it. And yet one of my fav cats growing up was a black cat.

marlyn p.

marlyn p.

I sing the praises of the black dog! Mine's one. She is the sweetest thing. I admit when i first saw her, she was shy and cowered in the back of the crate. I was hesitant, not because she was black but I didn't see her true temperament. But once the "honeymoon" period was over and her true colors came through, WOW! She is a wonderful pup and I wouldn't trade her for a dog of any other color. I wish people would give the black dog a chance when adopting because color/size don't matter, they love just the same.

Stephanie G.

Stephanie G.

Poor Black Dogs...... I have one and she is the sweetest thing ever!!

kim m.

kim m.

"People are often wary of dark dogs because it's difficult to read their expressions" My Lab is one of the most photogenic & expressive animals I know! Poor babies-getting passed over just because of their fur color!

Christine

Christine

That really is very sad and completely ignorant that so many "big black dogs" get passed over or put to sleep, or that people are so scared of them. Poor dogs!! More campaigns need to be put out to help these dogs... it isn't the color that makes them mean, but the people who raise them that way.

SuzzieQ

SuzzieQ

ok people just are 'judging the book by it's cover', which is VERY ANNOYING. if it isn't color or size, it's breed!!!

monica and baby o.

monica and baby o.

Our society has conditioned us to fear black. Villans often wear black, our bossed (who we sometimes fear) were black or a dark colored suit. It can be scary (scared of the dark?) We avoid dark allies because there maybe someone or something lumming in the shadows. But on the other side black is timeless and classic. And its also very slimming.Lol. So instead of fearing our little black furry friends, We should love them and welcome them.

Steve827

Steve827

i have a big, black, goofy german shepard mix - and yes, people do avoid us when out walking.

Charm H.

Charm H.

yep that was me joannej, I suggested the shelters to put colorful bandannas around the pet's neck. I have raised two siberian huskies, one of my husband's friend is afraid of black and white husky with beautiful blue eyes. I laughed, because when he saw him on the porch his eyes looked like a wild wolves, so therefore he said" you stay there and I'll stay here! LOL! I couldn't believed he was afraid of my baby! anyway. so please shelters put bandannas around the pets neck just like you would have them wear collars. but at the end of the day when you closed the shelters. please remove the bandannas or scrafs off of them before you put them in the cages. so it won't get caught on the cages. safety is the rules dear.

Amy S.

Amy S.

I have a doberman mix that people are afraid of. He is really a good dog, but he is also very protective. Of course, I didn't know this when I adopted him as a puppy, I picked him because I knew he would grow to be a large dog, and he was the sweetest puppy in the kennel. I prefer to have a large dog, not for any "macho" reasons, but because I like their companionship.

samantha w.

samantha w.

I've had two big black dogs, and I agree, people were always afraid of them. It didn't matter that the dogs would have licked them to death. I know there are plenty of people like me to whom color would never matter. I just feel sorry for the dogs that there are people who don't choose to know them before they judge.

Diana P.

Diana P.

Anyone who things dogs are mean simply because they're big and black is showing their ignorance. Big time. I've owned four HUGE black dogs and they've all been the sweetest and gentlest souls you could imagine.

My first two black dogs a brother and sister team and had to be adopted together. They were two-year-old Dobermans that we rescued from a local shelter. After we brought them home we realized that they'd been abused and were frightened and afraid to trust us. But with time and patience they became THE BEST friends we could have ever imagined. And after our daughter was born, they became her protectors as well. One of them sleeping in her doorway and the other one sleeping right under her crib. They've both passed on now, but we still think and talk about them often.

After our Dobermans came our Rottweiler. He looked mean, he looked vicious, but looks can most definitely be deceiving. And I always used to say that if anyone ever broke into our home, he'd probably give them a guided tour and show them around. A kinder hearted soul you won't ever meet. He lost his battle with cancer this past December and I still cry from missing him so much. And as far as lap dogs go? You try telling a 120 lb. Rottweiler that he's not a lap dog! Especially when he thinks he is! But I would give anything to have him sitting on my lap one more time while we watch tv.

The only black dog we have left now is my Lab mix. He's also a rescue dog (all my animals are) and is just a sweetheart! He's 10 now and just a joy and such a good boy. I love ALL my dogs no matter what color they are. But anyone that thinks black dogs are unworthy of love or think they are "vicious" clearly don't know what they're talking about.

The next dog I rescue will most definitely be black! I'm thinking a Doberman, or Rottweiler, or any dog that isn't given a chance simply because of the way they look. It's just wrong.

Karen A.

Karen A.

Sad to read the bias is more like a prejudice. The animals don't choose their color at birth any more than people do.

Bianca

Bianca ".

I went to the Rogers shelter looking for a dog, and I noticed how many black labs there were-puppies, adults, all super sweet. What a horrible stereotype that has attached to these wonderful animals.

Ashley W.

Ashley W.

I was oreviously aware of this situation, but still find it very sad. I have no problem with the "BBDs," but obviously a lot of people do. Next time I adpot a dog, I plan to take home one of these unwanted dogs.

1 | 2 | 3 |