Mon, Mar 19 | By Zootoo Pet News Staff | 3

Celebrate with these five tips for puppy owners. This week marks the 6th Annual National Puppy Day, started by Colleen Paige of the Animal Miracle Foundation and Network in 2006. By shining the spotlight on adoption, this celebration aims to fi… more ›

Happy, Yappy National Puppy Day!
Dgblondie

Dgblondie

Want a great piece of advice about feeding a pup? I learned the following from an English fellow who trained dogs. For two weeks straight, feed them by hand!! Everything they eat comes out of a human's hand. If there is more than one person in the household, everyone should participate, except perhaps for kids under 4 or so. If the puppy bites the hand while feeding, even if it is obviously accidental,immediately yell at him/her and stop the feeding!! Believe me, the pup will learn immediately to never do that again. Reasons for doing it? The dog will associate hands with good things! They will always be looking at the hands of the other people in the pack, which makes them MUCH easier to train. Easier to give them a pill. They will see a hand approaching its mouth, and the instinct will be. "Oh, goodie, what treat am I about to receive now?" We did this with our dog as soon as we got him, and he is incredible. Just a superb "people dog." We also make him sit for a few seconds before he gets his evening meal. It reinforces our role as the pack leaders.
I will strenuously argue with anyone who disagrees with most of what I have written here. Most of what i have written comes from dog experts, not just me.

Dgblondie

Dgblondie

I would adopt my two favorite Lab puppies from the rescue I work with if I could but I can't so I am naming all 9 puppies instead I have only named 3 so far though but they like their names and so do the people who meet them I have named one girl her name is Little Girl easy and simple, I have named two boys Hunter who has white on his chin and Shakespeare who is all black but has the fattest muzzle I have ever seen on a pup and his muzzle is so mushie looking too. I have 6 more pups to name it is hard sometimes when they all are the same color and all look alike so much.