Mon, Apr 14 | By Pet Pulse Staff Reports | 132

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A goat is in the middle of a controversy between its owner and the city officials that have been tasked with determining whether it can be considered a pet. If they decide it's not an animal companion, the goat named S… more ›

Goat Faces Eviction From Residential Property

1 | 2 |

Tracee G.

Tracee G.

I hope she gets to keep the goat.

5ineveryroom

5ineveryroom

I realizw that this goat is considered a pet, but the zoning laws are there to protect both people and animals. Sorry, but if you want to keep farm animals, then move to a farm.

Janie P.

Janie P.

If this goat is not causing any problems and she has enough property I don't see why she can't keep the goat. No one can really say what is a farm animal and what is a pet and to make her give it up now would not be fair.

Berrypatch573

Berrypatch573

Actually, goats make great pets. They're really good at mowing lawns, pulling weeds, keeping pesky strange animals away, keeping fence rows clear, keeping brush cleared, and being generally affectionate and loyal. My cousin has one who climbs in his boat on the riverbank and waits for his beloved owner to come and give him a ride down the river. It's his greatest joy in life. He is definitely a pet, following his owner everywhere, helping him with chores, and protecting him from other animals and people. Most dogs are not this loyal.

Jessica H.

Jessica H.

i think it is weird for people to have farm animals as pets that live in homes

Kathleen

Kathleen

Why can't a goat be a pet? There are pigs and chickens being kept as pets... why not a goat?

Carryl D.

Carryl D.

The animal is well cared for and not a nuisance. Who can judge what is a 'pet'? Everyone has their own preference. I believe the Warfields could site the recent Hensler ruling. This should help them.

Janet V.

Janet V.

Come on the goat is their pet! Clearly they are not starting a farm.

Sara S.

Sara S.

this is horrible!

dawn  h.

dawn h.

Why should the goat be picked on when he is being well taken care of, as opposed to animals that are chained/tied to a tree and have no shelter. Isn't there more important things to concentrate on? Where are the priorities here?

Kittypassion

Kittypassion

Have mixed emotions on this issue. If you allow one person to have an "unusual" animal as a pet, it could open up areas that could later cause problems. But, on the other hand, if the pet is not causing any problem to anyone, then why should government control what you want as a pet.

Teresa C.

Teresa C.

Well, as long as it is not endangering the health and well being of the community and is being kept solely as a pet I don't see a problem with her having a goat. I do wonder how the city became aware that she had a goat. Maybe there is a problem a neighbor had with the goat and reported it, I don't know but I think something is missing in this story.

Fooj

Fooj

I can see just one goat being a pet. But 9 chickens sounds like something else. The reason why such farm animals are banned in residential areas is because they dont' want people raising animals for food in their backyards. In Hawaii, you are allowed to only have 2 chickens in a residential area.

Christine

Christine

Aw now come on, with all the unwanted animals and animals needing homes, can't they let this one goat stay with his family???? As long as there is no smells or problems, then I see no problem whatsoever. It's not like they have 20 of them!

Kelly

Kelly

I do not see anywhere that this goat is causing any problems to the neighborhood. I also do not see anywhere that the goat is not being well cared for.

I think there are bigger and more pressing issues that the government should be addressing.

Kate H.

Kate H.

I say worry about more important things then a lady & and her goat. If it has become a public nusiance or if it seems like its being neglicate then I say the city has a good reason, but if not then just drop it.

Sarah B.

Sarah B.

Aww. Why are they bothering about this poor lady & her goat? Does she live on a small city plot not large enough for a goat? I could understand if the goat is a nusiance to the neighbors & gets in the road all the time. The article didn't mention neighbors or any complaints at all. If the owner is taking good care of Szokie & he has the proper space etc. Why bother with it? It seems to me City officials should have more important issues to be worrying about. They can turn a blind eye on certain things as long as it doesn't get out of hand. City officials turn a blind eye all the time on much more important situations daily. Stop wasting tax $ and let her have her goat on her property. We can't have officials telling us what is a pet & what is not. As long as the animals are taken well care of leave it be.

Louise W.

Louise W.

I believe any animal that lives in any given home and its taken care of medically and physically, should be allowed too. Personally I wouldn't want a cow or horse in my home but a small animal? Why not? Some people have pigs that are litter trained to name one. Why not a goat?

Brooke K.

Brooke K.

I really understand the logic behind the rules. Around the city where I live it is all too common to see a horse tethered in someone's backyard with barely a tenth of an acre to walk. Some animals require special care, such as farm stock. Also, if you have too many they can create a serious health hazard if kept in too small a space, for both the animals and humans. However, in this case I think it is clear that the goat is very well and properly cared for and it shouldn't even be an issue. Let the woman have her goat. It's not her fault that a goat won her heart instead of a dog. It may rip her life apart to lose her beloved animal. Cat, dog, goat, rat...what does it matter?! It's furry, has four legs and adores you......it's a pet!!

Vetgirl21

Vetgirl21

Oh, my goodness let the people have their goat. Its one goat.... not a whole farm. Leave them alone!

Silver Dragon Pets N.

Silver Dragon Pets N.

If miniature horses can be classified as therapy pets and kept within city limits, I see no reason why someone can't keep a goat as a pet. She obviously has no intention of slaughtering him, and being a male, he's not being used for milk; which would lead me to believe his sole purpose is to be a pet - not a farm animal (ie - raised for a "purpose").

Sarah B.

Sarah B.

Very good point! Since he's male its not like the owner is going to have several additional baby goats running around either. It's 1 pet goat.

Teresa C.

Teresa C.

I'm not sure what I think about this story. On one hand, I can see how her goat could completely be a pet. On the other hand, if the area she lives in is very residential, then I can see how her neighbors could have a problem with her having the goat. I'm on the fence here.

nancy r.

nancy r.

We have rules and laws for a reason. We may not like all or some of them, but we need to respect our neighbors rights also. Perhaps if she has to give up her goat, she can find a place to take it where she can visit.

Beaglemutz

Beaglemutz

...but it's not causing any harm?

5ineveryroom

5ineveryroom

I agree. The laws are there for a reason.

Mary G.

Mary G.

Who said that an animal typically found on a farm can't be a pet. I can't believe that Szokie the Goat gives the neighbors any troubles. Szokie and his "woman" should be left in peace.

LadyNoah

LadyNoah

In the past, I've had: ducks, dogs, cats, birds, bunnies and more. And I have always lived in the city. No harm was ever done. Had plenty of room. No complaints. Leave these people be to just enjoy the animal.

Beaglemutz

Beaglemutz

Good pet owners should be allowed to BE good pet owners.

LadyNoah

LadyNoah

Leave the poor animal be. He is not hurting anyone but is giving a family love and joy.

Amy R.

Amy R.

i think it's a tough call for the city. I understand not wanting farm animals in a residential place, reason being not enough space for them... but if there is enough land and the animal is being taken care of then why get involved. Smaller "farm" animals could do very well in a regular "city" yard. Would love to see a follow up story.

a pet is a pet no mater what species it is. what makes a pet is all in how you bring it up and treat it

Rjlupinskat

Rjlupinskat

I'm disappointed in my own state. For a Commonwealth that prizes its equines as not only business and agriculture, but as pets, some officials seem to be completely blind to the fact that what constitutes a pet or companion animal is not limited to specific breeds/species/convention.

If she cares properly for him, he's well off, and her neighbors are not being inconvenienced (within reason), then why the fuss?

Jessica L.

Jessica L.

I think that as long as the animal is taken care of and she does not have a yard full of goats, then she should be allowed to keep the goat. If her home can provide enough space for the animal to graze and live happily then who cares? If the goat is misbehaving or escaping all the time, then I think something should be done.

wendy T.

wendy T.

They are animals too - and deserve respect

Amanda R.

Amanda R.

If you want to raise farm animals buy a farm. If you want to talk cruelty how about keeping large farm animals cooped up in little yards for your own selfish reasons

5ineveryroom

5ineveryroom

I agree! The rules and laws help protect animals.

Lisa

Lisa

As long as the animal is receiving proper care, if she is treating it as a pet, then it IS a pet. To me, the most important thing is that the animal is getting proper care.

tsmackley

tsmackley

Of course Szokie is a pet, it is all in how they are raised. I have had many pets that weren't everyones idea of the normal pet. Just because you don't consider it a pet doesn't make your opinion right!
I have bottle fed lambs and they follow you around just like a puppy, goats aren't much different. as long as it is kept in and is not getting into mischief it should be left with its family!!!
Mind your own business I say!

Amanda R.

Amanda R.

You haven't lived near goats before. I used to live across the street from people that kept goats, they smell horrible and so do the people that keep them. They don't belong in residential areas not just because of the smell but because they are escape artists , they even escaped from an electric fense.

5ineveryroom

5ineveryroom

I agree. The city has rules and laws for a reason. If they let her keep a goat and chickens and who knows what else, then they willl have to let everyone keep livestock in their backyard.

Julie

Julie

I agree, one goat shouldn't be a problem to anyone. The woman should have know better than to bring a farm animal into the city proper but like I said, it is just one animal. As long as the neighbors aren't complaining what is the problem?

Kadiquilts

Kadiquilts

To each his own! As long as Szokie is well cared for and doesn't bother anyone else--why not?

Theranddav

Theranddav

There is definatly a difference between pet and farm animal. She doesn't live on a farm and this animal is not for milk, food, or any other human need except companionship. I can understand the need for a law to seperate farm animals and pets. But there should be a clause for small "farm animals" as pets. I know you shouldn't have a horse or cow in a small back yard. But some goats are smaller than some dogs that people have! If you own your property, the animal is being properly cared for, and you have a little common sense about the type of animal that you want as a pet in a residential area, I don't see the problem. Let this woman keep her goat!!

Kevin

Kevin

Only in KY! Let her keep the goat! I live in KY and have seen far worse that a pet goat!

Rjlupinskat

Rjlupinskat

I quite agree. If the goat is happy and well cared for, and not offending the neighbors, they really don't need to raise such a fuss.

There ARE definitely worse situations in this state.

Patricia  C.

Patricia C.

I think people have a right to have whatever type pet they choose on their own property. She pays her taxes, and the city should not have a right to tell her what kind of animal she can or cannot own.

sharon d.

sharon d.

As much as I love goats,I couldn't picture them hanging out on the living room floor with the kids and watching television. I'm all for getting animals out of the elements of seasonal weather,and keeping pets, etc,but lets face it,goats definitely need room to exercise,and eat grass,and do goat things.Those are my opinions though. Maybe if I had a huge yard ,and some sort of mini barn ,I'd choose to keep one for an outside pet,but I can't say either way right now.
As for the rooster,at least they generally make their noise around the same time every morning,(unless they're still learning)and then it's a done deal.
I work 12 hour night shifts and come home in the morning to sleep.My neighbor has a dog that escapes the yard at least 3 times a week,the neighbor then goes to work,and the dog will literally sit there and continuously bark until the owner gets gets back home from work at the end of the day.This dog barks non stop if hes out for any given time,so I'm thinking the rooster may be the lesser of the evils.....lol
Unfortunately ,our laws fall too often into gray areas.I know a Black/White answer is sometimes difficult, but when there are too many gray areas,it causes too many questions and problems.
You can't tell me that being a city resident,I can't have a goat or a few chickens, but yet there's Joe Schmo living next to me with a 12 foot Boa because that just wouldn't make sense,or sit too well with me at all..
Animal Cruelty,Abuse,Over population, stray animal roaming,and Pet Ordinance confusion and problems are worse than ever.
These problems have been around for a long time, but are not given any serious thought or threat, until they make the headlines.
We need to change a lot of laws,we need to enforce them,we need to punish violators more severely,and we really need to come up with an "across the board "legislation for the entire country.If the laws are the same in all the states,there won't be confusion or doubt.
You can't be allowed to own Monkeys in Florida,but not in Colorado-- It shouldn't be okay to keep a farm animal in one city,but not in another,etc.,etc......
I know that there are a lot of people who feel as if the government has too much say so in our lives as it is ,but lets face it---Animals are a huge part of our lives,and we spend gazillions on care,food,housing etc. The bad side is that we also spend gazillions,fixing all our screw ups with shelter overpopulation,spay an Vac programs,, rehoming, opening more and more Exotic Sanctuaries for all unwanted Exotics,and the lists and costs go on and on.
I know that this all started with to have or not have a pet goat,but people have to look at the overall big picture
We have this plummeting "Domino effect" going on,and it needs to be addressed from all sides to make any sort of positive changes,because these factors all link together.

parker e.

parker e.

i hope they let her keep him

Thebillpayer

Thebillpayer

It comes down-what harm is having the goat? Are the neighbors complaining? Is the goat healthy and happy (unlike so many puppy mill dog breeders we hear about)?

Sometimes I think politicians have too much time to worry about this type of thing and don't worry about the bigger things.....I am very curious about their support of any shelters, animal rescues, and any trap and release programs in their area. That's where we need help.

Dksmommie

Dksmommie

I hope her beloved goat will get to stay with her.

Bill G.

Bill G.

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe the goat could be considered a tool used for lawn care. When I was a kid we had a bunch of goats in the barnyard and never had to do anything with the grass and weeds. I say - Let the goat stay!!!

debbie w.

debbie w.

People choose different animals as pets and if she is taking care of it as a pet and not a barnyard critter she should be able to keep it.

bell o.

bell o.

LET HER KEEP HER GOAT. SHE must love her goat if she went all way to get a lawyer

Acedogg2001

Acedogg2001

You know, if the goat has a good life and is happy, what is the difference? It would be like having a large dog.

Donna B.

Donna B.

I hope Szokie gets to stay with his owner. In this day and time when so many animals of all types are being mistreated and neglected it would be a crime to take this animal away from a loving home!!!

betty p.

betty p.

Most folks who live in a city want a normal city life. Nice quiet neighborhood, but close enough to all the things cities have like stores, restaurants, malls, etc.

Folks who live in the county want a normal country life. They live on acres and they also know more than likely their neighbor no matter how close will more than likely have animals of all kinds. After all they live in the country.

If I lived in the city and my neighbor had animals that were annoying, then I would be upset. I would expect quiet as the law states.

So if this goat was quiet, stayed on their property, cause no harm to the neighbors okay. But if it makes alot of noise, destroys property,etc, then it goes.

We live on 5 acres along with everybody else on our road. So it is quiet, but I would be okay with some farm noise as most of the houses around here have extra acres of farm land.

However, while we removed, we moved into town. The amount of noise from the neighbors down the street whose coonhounds and beagles were always kenneled outside caused me to never open our windows because they never shut up.

So again, I would say if it is quiet and not causing problems, if the owner is taking proper care of it, if the yard does not stink, let it stay.

Beaglemutz

Beaglemutz

...you seem to be implying that beagles can't not bark?

betty p.

betty p.

They should not bark all the time, all hours of the day and night and not when they live in a city, in a kennel, outside 24/7.

I like the nice quiet beagles. Wait, that would be a rare one and might be worth alot of money.

1 | 2 |