By Robin Wallace | 23

Knick-knack, paddy-whack, give a dog a bone -- this nursery rhyme might keep rolling home, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says giving your family pet a bone is a thing of the past. "Some people think it's safe to give dogs lar… more ›

Give Your Dog a Bone?
Ravi

Ravi

Are you all serious? Just google "BARF" and you'll see that bones along with raw meats are the best thing a dog can eat. I agree cooked bones are a no-no, but bones in general are not bad, and actually encouraged. If you give raw bones, then you are safe. I'm not saying it can't happen, but anyone can choke on anything.

"broken teeth" come on. A dog is not going to break his teeth on a bone unless he has serious dental issues and that's the owner's fault. They actually need bones to keep their teeth healthy.

"mouth hurts tongue/jaw injuries" - also, not gonna happen. Yea, it's possible,but it would likely be a scratch, not a hospital visiting injury.

I agree that the bone MAY get stuck in the throat/intestine/stomach/ etc, but that also isn't likely if you choose the bones with care.

Please, just do a quick search on BARF and you will see that bones are part of a balanced diet.

Even Vets themselves don't know about the benefits of feeding raw meat because they don't go through nutrition training that teaches them. Also, they get compensation and incentives from food companies, so they will lose out if they encourage raw food.

Nearly all the commercial dog food we think is good (IAMS, Pedigree, Science Diet, Beneful) are all bad. Their main ingredients are meat by-products which are left overs of the animals. And they contain corn and other stuff ( i forget, but I think they are grains) that have no nutritional value and are just fillers.

I used to work in an animal hosiptal, and I never learned this. The vet used to encourage Science Diet, the only food he sold, and if you google Science Diet, you will see it's not any different then other foods.

Ravi

Ravi

Now that I looked back at it, the article isn't bad if they are only talking about COOKED bones. They don't specify whether they are talking about cooked or raw. They only once mention Ham or Pot Roast bones. The title and the rest of the article just says bones.

So if they mean bones in general, then they are wrong, if they mean cooked bones, then I agree only to an extent.

Eitehr way, I stand by my argument

This is common sense to me, since cooked bones also splinter. I've been lucky-Brandy got a hold of cooked chicken bones twice! She wasn't much of a chewer, so we were extremely lucky that the bones passed through her system without any complications. Of course, she was rushed to the vet those 2 times.

Stephanie

Stephanie

I never give my dog chicken bones but she has gotten larger bones. Luckily there haven't been adverse effects. Looks like I will be using alternatives in the future. I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Julie

Julie

I have never liked the idea of giving my dog a bone, other than the one's that come packed in a box, (buscuit type bones)

Momba

Momba

Well, dogs and bones seem to go together, and have since the beginning of time, but now that I've read this, I would only give bones that are pressure cooked. I have made bones soft enough for me to chew and swallow, so I don't think that would hurt an animal. Pressure cooking can do amazing things.

Angel7774xx

Angel7774xx

good advice.

Kaytee

Kaytee

Good advice. I have never liked the idea of giving my doggies real bones

i think this is all good advice but how many years did dogs have bones. even before they were domesticated

Kris

Kris

Good point, Daryl. When I was young it was only chicken bones I heard not to give them, now it is all bones.

That is why Skitters no longer gets bones that is what got stuck in her throat and why we had to give her a liquid diet and then give her a special diet of a recipe for dogs with this problem, that she could eat on her own. It was so hard to give her the liquid diet but she liked the bland dog food we had to give her. That is why Skitters no longer gets the bones other than milk bones that is. But what about cow hoofs and pig hoofs we used to have a female english cocker spaniel named Lady that loved them. Do they count as one of those bones or not? Does anyone know?

i guess ther could be a chocking hazzard if they try to swallow it whole. i never fed those because of them being smoked

Michele Z.

Michele Z.

Although I agree that giving bones to dogs can be dangerous, I just wonder how wild dogs managed to survive. They surely ate more than their fair share of BONES.

this is getting scarey you and i that was my first comment above

Michele Z.

Michele Z.

Are you trying to tarnish my unknown "# reputation"???

HA HA--I beat you!!!!! Tushy/touche'

Bowne

Bowne

Good information for those who have dogs. I know someone who has a dog. They gave the dog a bone and it got stuck in his throat. Fortunately, the dog was still able to breathe, but the owners were in a panic. They were able to get the dog to a vet who removed the bone. They were lucky.

Kris

Kris

Very scary. I am glad the dog was OK.