Thu, Jul 1 | By Kris O'Donnell | 10

One man’s legacy inspires an innovative program—and brings hope to pet owners in Florida. KISSIMMEE, Fla.—For many seniors who live alone or far away from family, their pets become dedicated companions. That bond can be so strong … more ›

For Senior Pet Owners, Jimmy's Place Serves Critical Need
Tommy m.

Tommy m.

awosme guy

Momba

Momba

Jimmy sounds like a one in a million kind of guy. A real angel!

Karen W.

Karen W.

I think that this is a great service, Im looking into starting some kind of shelter here in my town, it is a small town and I dont know if I will be able to swing it. We have a shelter here in town that is run from the city, but they are not a no kill and they are pretty much over whelmed right now by all the animals that they have. They dont get the advertizing that I would like to see. I love animals so much, but am so emotional, I dont know if I could handle some of the things one has to deal with. If anyone has any ideas , please feel free to let me know, thanks so much.

That's good but what I always worry about are the seinors that are go to nursing homes that can't take their pets that are so attached to them and of course they are attached to their pets. Some times these bonds between the two that you could not rehome the pet I know Skitters would not be happy with out me she would probably get really depressed and stop eating. Thats what happened to Cricket she was looking for my great grandpa and not eating all the time when he passed away until she learned that my grandma was her new mommy and my grandpa was her new daddy, but Cricket still looks around for him when they go over to work on his house and yard. I really wonder if they could put the pets in nursing homes with their owners just make the rooms a bit better to serve the pets and the people. My Step grandmother Maxine had to go to a nursing home recently and she had to leave her little Daushaund named Sis behind who is not to happy with out her and I am sure the two wish that they could be together. She has three big dogs and two cats as well but they stay outside if I were her I could never do that to them but all the same they love her too of course. But this is a sad event because when friends or family members can not take the pets in when loved ones pass away or end up in a nursing home then the pets get the rotten end of the deal and not only loose their beloved person but they also end up in the shelter. I wish there was some type of business that helped those owners and animals out.

it is a shame since it has been proven that animals and petting them has excelent effects. the home around the corner from me has parakeets and a cat that lives in the lockdown ward

this should be in the heros compitition

I agree! This is such a wonderful thing to do!

Momba

Momba

You're right, Daryl.

this is one of the best articles so far. he is a hero