Thu, Mar 19 | By Zootoo Pet News Staff | 247

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -- One Myrtle Beach resident is saying the seizure of his pet hyena is nothing to laugh over. "We weren't trying to sell him," Nicolas Petock, 26, said of his exotic pet. "He is a member of the family." Fa… more ›

'Bubbles' the Hyena Taken from Owner

1 | 2 | 3 |

Magicpaperclip

Magicpaperclip

While I would not want a hyena as a pet, I believe those who know how to take care of them should be able to keep them. Laws against exotic pet ownership often results from fear and, unfortunately, irresponsible owners. Most of the exotic pet community are responsible owners and strongly discourage anyone from getting an exotic pet if they can't meet all its needs.

It's also selfish for people to not want other people to keep certain species because of irrational fear and lack of understanding. There are attacks by domestic animals too. Does it mean we should ban ownership of these animals too?

Stephanie

Stephanie

Why do people insist on having WILD animals as pets?? It is dangerous for them and others. How selfish.

Moroferret

Moroferret

You're selfish. Read the post above you and LEARN.

i am very sorry that he has lost his pet but with the chimps in the news as they have been i think he should be able to choose the place where they will place him

Jen

Jen

I think this would be an issue if it was a wild animal, but from a breeder.

Amanda C.

Amanda C.

I know this person just wanted an interesting pet and probably thought that he could be a great owner and give the hyena a good home but there is a reason that people shouldn't have animals like this as pets. There is no way that he was able to give that hyena what it needed as far as space or interaction with others of the same species and on top of that now the hyena is further traumatized by being taken away from this guy and his family. I think this guy should be going to court for animal cruelty because that is what this is. We need to have tougher laws against this sort of thing so it doesn't happen because the animals are the ones who really suffer.

Jessica S.

Jessica S.

I'm really torn on how I feel about this circumstance. On the one hand, it seems like Bubbles's owner was very responsible and did his research well. On the other hand, I don't think that wild animals should be bred and sold as pets. I think the best arrangement for everyone involved would be for Bubbles to stay at the animal park, but for his owner to be able to still visit him and care for him. It's really not a good idea to keep Bubbles in the city.

VIRONICA N.

VIRONICA N.

LEAVE THESE PEOPLE ALONE AS LONG AS THEIR TAKING GOOD CARE OF THEIR PET AND MAKING IT SAFE AROUND THEIR HOME SO HE CAN'T GET OUT. THEN THEY SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE..

lorilee m.

lorilee m.

I just hope he is able to continue to be part of Bubbles life.And I hope that while he is at this center he is able to visit Bubbles.

John H.

John H.

I feel for the family. But a family home is now place for a wild animal.

Amanda D.

Amanda D.

Well I don't think you should own exotic animals but if this was a pet I really feel bad for it now that its going to be living in a zoo. This animal is going to be tramatized. Poor thing.

SISSI V.

SISSI V.

First, wild and exotic animals should not be allowed to be sold. They do not belong with people, they belong in the wild. However, I am worried about how this will affect this poor creature. I just wish there were laws to prevent this whole thing from happening to start with.

Edie Jo N.

Edie Jo N.

I don't believe in having exotic animals but, if this was a pet how will he do in a zoo environment

Amber J.

Amber J.

As long as it doesn't bother nobody and it's tame I don't see a problem.All animals were wild at one point or another.

Cindy C.

Cindy C.

Wow, I've never heard of a Hyena as a pet.

RemarkablySpecial

RemarkablySpecial

Yeah, I was surprised by that too. It seems like it was living just like any domestic dog.

Erica M.

Erica M.

I am surprised keeping a hyenas, even if it is well-tempered, is permitted anywhere in the US. I also wonder what the owner thought a hyena could offer as a pet that a dog would not.

Drwagner78

Drwagner78

I'm sure the owner is saddened by the outcome, but really why must people have wild animals as pets? It usually doesn't turn out well. The hyena is better off where he is now.

Elaina

Elaina

I so agree that a wild animal should not be kept as a pet. Things happen and people get injurned and then it is too late.

inga l.

inga l.

Yes, it would only be a matter of time before we read another horrible story.

John H.

John H.

This family doesnt need to be in the papers for a tragedy.

Rainie

Rainie

For all those who want the hyena returned to the owners, it is just a matter of time before the animal attacks or hurts someone. Anytime someone raises an animal out of its natural habitat, you cannot expect the animal to behave typically as they would in their own habitat. Sure, they are typically shy, but would they be so in a residential area? How does a hyena react when surrounded by strangers and feeling trapped. Most animals have a fight or flight response, and feeling trapped would trigger an attack. Hyenas are know for their strong jaws and teeth which are capable of cracking large bones of other animals. The pressure their jaws create is actually stronger than that of alligators and crocodiles. It makes a pitbull's bite seem like nothing. So, if this animal was returned and somehow gets out, you all better pray he doesn't attack anyone.

Elaina

Elaina

I so agree, this animal should not be kept as a pet.

John H.

John H.

I feel for the family. But I agree with you.

Rainie

Rainie

I'm glad they seized the animal. The owners should have also researched the law and realized that having an exotic pet like that would violate laws as well. It's not enough that they researched about the animal itself. Even though they say they think the animal should be at home with them, they may not be thinking about the welfare of the animal, only of themselves.

I'm not sure why people are motivated to own exotic pets in the first place. To me it must have something to do with their ego. There are lots of domesticated animals that need our help at the shelters, instead of having to get an animal that does not belong in a residential area. At what point does it stop? Who is to limit what people decide to keep as pets, and determine whether they are providing the best care as well as protecting the public from these exotics?

Heather M.

Heather M.

I agree that I don't think it was right for the police to just take him if there were no signs of abuse or complaints, but I also don't think exotic animals belong in peoples' homes or backyards so I guess I'm not complaining.

Ninaof2girls

Ninaof2girls

I have read this article and have read several of the comments and I do believe it is getting harder and harder to tell where to draw the line. This is a wild animal but as I read in one article, dogs were also wild at one point. I just saw today on the news where a young girl who is blind uses a small horse as her service animal which has to be allowed to go into grocery stores and drive up windows and so on. Would you want a horse hovering over food? Yet this girl has a right to her service animal even though it's a horse. Where do we draw the line?

nanette C.

nanette C.

Anybody feed squirrels in your backyard? Leave food out there for raccoons? Foxes? This man wasn't hurting anyone and his pet wasn't bothering anyone. For the police to just come and take it I think is wrong. Why any of us have the pets we do is up to us. This man wasn't showing his pet off or using it to garner attention. I understand "exotic" pet laws but then, why aren't boa constrictors confiscated? I have a Caique that's an exotic bird - the breed is originally from the tree tops of Brazil - should he be taken away from me? He was born in captivity in America and I rescued him and have given him a good home. I just think there could have been a better way to handle this situation.

Susan

Susan

Why do people find it necessary to purchase an "exotic" animal? Is there some deep need for attention that causes them to step over the conventional boundaries?

There is no reason to have these or any other exotic animal bred for the general public to purchase. The breeders should be shut down.

GuineaPig

GuineaPig

Interesting. he wasn't bothering anyone. That isn't right to take him away. He is a wild animal though and they shouldn't be kept in a backyward. Dogs were also wild at one point too though. So, I don't know.

di

di

People! Wild animals are just that. They are not bred to be pets. What ever you think that you are doing for them is not right. They are and need to be protected under wild animal laws in which they are. Glad it was enforced.

Lovemylab76

Lovemylab76

Personally, I don't believe in keeping animals like this as a pet unless it is absoloutely neccessary for the animal.

Linda B.

Linda B.

A responsible pet owner would have found out about the regulations for owning an exotic pet (fencing, etc.), not only to protect his neighbors, but also to protect his pet.

Sarasotapets

Sarasotapets

I agree with you on this point. For the sake of the animal, as well as his neighbors, he should have looked into the laws before he purchased the animal. Now the animal has had to endure being taken from it's "pack", and has been placed in a different location. Doesn't sound like the hyena's best interest was the priority in this case.

Kate H.

Kate H.

I guess they didn't see on the news about the chimp who ripped the ladies face off? A loving pet ? That's what the owner of the chimp said too. A wild animal is a wild animal and does not belong caged in someones house, or in the back yard. I would find out where he was gotten from and shut that place down too.

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want a hyena living next door to me.

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

How are people allowed to breed these exotic animals and sell them to the public? They need to be stopped. This is getting ridiculous with some of the wild animals that people are trying to transform into household pets. Chimps, tigers, hyenas, crocs....what will be next?

Elaina

Elaina

Such a great point, this animal should never have been breed and sold as a pet.

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

The article says that the city ordinance prohibits wild or exotic animals. So why buy one? A hyena is a wild animal!

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

The articles says that even as young as Bubbles is, it is hard for him to trust people. Of course it's hard for him...he is a wild animal!

Ragdollkitties

Ragdollkitties

I don't understand the desire of people to own wild animals as pets. I'm glad they seized Bubbles and sent to Alligator Adventure where he can have a more appropriate environment to live in.

Peggy W.

Peggy W.

This is still no less a wild animal. If only people could understand there is so much they coulld do for wild animals without purchasing and trying to take them home. Local zoos and animal shelters/habitats need support so desperately. This doesn't need to be monetary--it could be volunteer work. Many zoos have a DOCENT PROGRAM where the docent is up close and personal with educational animals. Please--research a particular animal before purchasing it. This could save a lot of grief and sadness.

Nancy H.

Nancy H.

I have to blame the owner in this case. I feel sorry for the animal. The owner should have checked with the municipality. That was ignorant on his part. Now, his pet may have to pay the price and live in a zoo. Sad.

Joyce

Joyce

Wild animals do not belong in cities

m s.

m s.

This is interesting -- it seems that Bubbles would do well to stay with his owner -- as stated by the professional, this striped hyena's nature seems to fit in well living with his owner in the city, with the yard and all -- also, his mild manner helps. On the other hand, i am no expert -- does Bubbles need more space? would he prefer the company of other hyenas? Would he be happy in either situation? I think this needs to be reviewed by professionals -- taking into consideration everything about this hyena -- then doing what is best for Bubbles -- if there is no law on the books, then there should be such a law -- the happiness and health and well-being of the hyena are at stake here.

Meryl O.

Meryl O.

These exotic breeders should be outlawed. These animals belong in the wild to roam and enjoy their freedom.

Leslieanne S C.

Leslieanne S C.

I'm sorry,but exotic animals belong in the wild and nature needs to be respected for what it is and kept at a balance.

Michelle H.

Michelle H.

Wild animals should not be kept as pets. It is wrong for everyone. Not fair to the animal and sometimes dangerous to people. I think it should be outlawed everywhere. I feel bad that they are separated from a "pet" but they shouldve gotten another dog instead is my opinion. I hope Bubbles is happy at his new home. It is usually the animal that has to suffer the most in these situations.

haley m.

haley m.

I think that as long as he is a fit owner and doesn't beat him or anything, he should be allowed to keep him. I don't see why not

Marilyn M.

Marilyn M.

I wish the authorities would go after the breeders of exotic animals. They should not be allowed to sell an animal to someone in a locality with laws against owning exotic pets. I'm sure many states have such laws and after the rash of incidents recently reported, more will.

Mmffcp

Mmffcp

I don't think he should've had the animal in the first place, however, if someone was selling it at least it went to a good home. It wasn't going to go back to the wild and he was at least given to a kind person who is taking care of him. Now the poor animal is probably never going to see his owner again and that can be pretty tramatic to any animal. It can't be released b/c it has imprints of people, and now is going to be stuck in a zoo. I think they should've just made him put up a second enclosure b/c it is obvious the animal wasn't being mistreated or bothering anyone.

Sandy S.

Sandy S.

Mr. Petock obviously wasn't very thorough in his research or he would have known the city didn't allow ownership of wild animals. The striped hyena is the second largest of the hyena species and the males can weigh almost 100 pounds. The have extremely powerful jaws to crush bones and even the shell of a tortoise. The hyena will eat dogs, other small animals and children. This hyena was only a year old and the neighbors didn't noticed his existence. I bet they would have as he aged because they scent mark their territory.

Wild animals should remain in the wild and people like the breeder in Texas should be shut down.

Bandana

Bandana

Very well said, especially the last paragraph.

Andrew

Andrew

Well said.

Wild animals should live in the wild.

Liane M.

Liane M.

I agree with your comments. Plus, with so many domestic animals in shelters that need homes why would you want an exotic animal that could be a danger to yourself or others? Remember last month’s chimp attack. I think many people acquire these exotics because they like the idea of having something unusual, but animals shouldn't be treated like accessories or the latest fad. Most people cannot provide the proper care these wild animals need; they belong back in the wild or in a good sanctuary.

1carolsue2

1carolsue2

This is a wild animal not a pet. The person in Texas should be investigated. it is a crime the trauma that this poor animal is enduring because someone had to have an exotic pet.

Nicole V.

Nicole V.

yea that sucks that they cant keep it cuz this family seems like they did this the right way. But it is overall just better for exotic animals to be in a zoo or in the wild just for everyones safety

Carly T.

Carly T.

Too bad the hyena can't stay with the family. I myself don't agree with the keeping of wild animals, but it sounds like this hyena had a loving home. I would rather see this animal being loved to death by a family than being kept in a cage at some zoo.

Trish R.

Trish R.

It seems the owner was being fairly responsible about keeping it, and sounds sincerely distressed to have Bubbles taken away. I wonder how well the hyena will do now that it was been removed from the people it has bonded to? I think in this case a sincere investigation into what would be best for Bubbles, in this unique circumstance, should be made. It sounds like Bubbles may have already bonded with his human family (given what they say about striped hyenas). However, I am in general opposed to the practice of owning wild breeds of animals, and the person that should really come under scrutiny is THE BREEDER IN TEXAS.

Brandi O.

Brandi O.

I feel bad for the family but you should never have a wild animal they don't look good in cages they look great in the wild

Jean C.

Jean C.

Well at least now there is little chance that he will tear the face off their best friend. I believe wild animals should be left in their natural habitat and not become mere entertainment for people living in family neighborhoods. I don't think any wild animal should be fenced off from others of his kind either, they all need some kind of social life.

1 | 2 | 3 |