Wed, Mar 3 | By Gabrielle Jonas | 12

To the baggage handlers loading Buddy's kennel onto American Airlines Flight 1526 from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago's O’Hare Airport last November, the four-year-old pit bull seemed sedate, but otherwise in good health. But when baggage … more ›

Animal Travel Safety: Protecting Your Pet in the Air

I think it's way too risky & dangerous to let your pet fly in cargo. My heart goes out to Buddy's family...

Also, since when are American Pit Bull Terriers & Bull Terriers considered brachycephalic? Doesn't that mean that the dog has a snub nose or a "pushed in" nose?

you had no choice you had an emergencsy. i often wonder if an animals ears pop like ours do. even with the cabin pressurized. is the cargo hold pressurized too

Kris

Kris

I did decide to fly Eboni to WI with us several years ago when we had a family emergency. We were not able to get a direct flight, but the airline did a good job of keeping me informed that she was on each connection. Eboni also handled the air travel very well.

Lilyrose

Lilyrose

I would never allow my dog to travel in an airplane cargo hold. I have heard too many horror stories.

AirborneanimalsLLC

AirborneanimalsLLC

Unfortunately you and many others make a jusdgment based on too little information. Yes, 27 animals wee deceased on fligths in a whole year, but in that year approximately 2 million pets were shipped by air - so a fracton of 1% actually had a problem. And because I work as a professional pet shipper (and I wouldn't be in the business if I thought it were unsafe for pets) I have found that many of the deaths were becasue of undiagnosed medical conditions, not related to anything the airlines did. Can human errors occur? of course. We mitigate those errors by following all the regulations, as do most of the airlines. Is it stressful for a pet? Of course, this is not something they do everyday. However, having said that, the vast majority of dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, guinea pigs and other travel just fine. I can also tell you there will be less chance of accidents, escapes, and other issue when a professional ships a pet, because we do it day in and day out, whereas an individual mayb e doing ti for the first time. the Independent Pet and Animal Transportation Association (ipata.com) is an international group of professional pet shippers sending pets and other animals all around the world.

Lilyrose

Lilyrose

I still wouldn't want my dog to be in that 1%.

Bowne

Bowne

I would be afraid to have my pet travel on an airplane (especially in a cargo hold). I think I would rather drive. I'm glad that these tips are being brought up though for those folks who do travel with their pets. It is in everyone's interest to know these things.

Pettravel

Pettravel

Hello everyone,

Pet travel, contrary to belief, can be a pleasant experience for both pet and owner. There are a lot of myths about cargo transport, but did you know that the temperature and pressure inside the cargo area during the flight is exactly the same as where humans sit. If a pet is healthy enough there is minimal risk to their safety.
If you are interested in taking your pets with you when you travel, or have any questions about pet travel, please check out www.pettravel.com and www.pettravelstore.com for more details. We would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Kris

Kris

Thanks for the info.

i am glad that the govt is finaly putting restrictions on pets for their safty

This is something that is very important, but I also think all of my pets should be considered carry on luggage even if I have a big dog or I were to have a cow or a horse. I mean they could probably make a plane so that it would acommadate all owners and all animals. I would hate having to send one of my babies on the pet only airline I would be worried about them then and I would be worried even if they were in the cargo department. I would have to have Teddy next to me in pet carrier or she would have a heart attack, Shorty would have to be next to me on a leash or he would escape from the pet carrier and come to find me he is a cat that is too smart for his own good and as for Skitters she would have to be in a seat next to me on her leash and have to explore the entire plane with me after exploring the entire plane with me and getting a chance to sniff around a bit she would be fine. I mean even though you rarely see a big dog that gets nervous it is an entirely diffrent story when aboard a plane I have been around all kinds of animals ever since I was little and I see alot of little dogs shake all the time but I have seen labs, pittbulls, wrottwielers and great danes shake too. I have even seen a horse shake and a humongus pig shake they want to be with their owners too they might be scared on a plane were they have to be separated from them. When they separate you from your dog or any other pet that you may have by putting them in the cargo deparment I think it is like if they were to tell everyone they have to send their baby and any of their other children to the cargo department and they can't keep thier children right next to them during the flight. There can be all kind of mistakes on planes and at airports and an owner doesn't want to loose their pet because it gets put on the wrong plane or gets taken off of the plane at the wrong stop. Also what if the pet is too smart for it's own good and gets out of the pet carrier and ends up were the passengers are or even worse off of the plane before it takes off. I love Teddy, Skitters, Shorty and spot as if they were my own children and I don't ever want anything bad to happen to them. Also come to think of it how do you safely transport a pet fish on an airplane to make sure they get to your destanation safely.

as much as i love the airline that does fly pets i would never put them on without me.