Tue, Apr 20 | By Kris O'Donnell | 26

Nine-year-old Tango is a sweet and friendly thoroughbred. But until recently, the grey gelding was not bound for the racetrack — but a much more dire fate. Until Angel Acres stepped in. Now Tango lives a happy life in State College, Pennsylvania.more ›

Angel Acres: A Safe Haven for Horses
Stephanie

Stephanie

That is wonderful that they are giving these horses not only life but a better life.

Bowne

Bowne

I hope word gets out about the bill in congress so the bill will pass. What a great way to help these horses. It is a shame that people don't take more responsibility for the horses.

Kris

Kris

Well said! I couldn't agree more!

many years ago when i had horses it was hard to outbid the "killers" they would buy yp all the nice fat camp horses that would come in at the end of camping season. i never sold a horse at auction

Thank God for places like these! Seriously, we need to stop horse racing & the slaughter of horses for consumption!

in the days i had horses the meat went for dog food

Kris

Kris

You are so right, Denise!

Jillian

Jillian

what a roller coaster it's been trying to stop the slaughter. one day it's a win for horses, the next it's back to the chopping block. foreigners need to quit eating our horses!

and canada needs to stop processing them

kathlene d.

kathlene d.

I love horses and I hate to know that any of them end up at slaughter. However, I have to agree that until people become more responsible about breeding, there will be unwanted horses that end up in slaughter or abused and neglected. If I could, I would adopt every one of them and give them the home they deserve. But until people become responsible, the horses will be the ones paying the price.

if it was just the old and tired that would be one thing but it is the young fat kid safe horses after the camp season is over that they will rush to buy because they ae nice and fat

Kavykeeper

Kavykeeper

I had no idea that horses were being transported to other countries for slaughter. I hope the law passes to protect them. Good article.

even if they do they will still be taken from here to canada where it is legal. i have known about this since childhood but those days it was for dog food

VeggieLuver940

VeggieLuver940

Wonderful article! It brightens my day to read about how people are helping save animals! I'm definately going to adopt a horse from them in the future!

DiamondandVegas

DiamondandVegas

This is an amazing article.
I adopted my gelding Vegas from Angel Acres about a month ago.
Jo and her staff are absolutely amazing and are TRULY angels and blessings to many horses out there.
With out her I wouldnt have found my second "son" and Vegas wouldnt have had a second chance at life.

-Jazzy

Kitty W.

Kitty W.

It's soo terrible that people actually slaughter horses!! What is wrong with this world?! It's bad enough that animals are killed for their meat, and they have to include horses in all of this?! What is that?!

How sad I love horses and I have always wanted to own my very own horse but I have never been able to cause I live in the city also it is way too exepinsive for me to be able to afford to board a horse at the fair grounds. So I settle for going up to my step aunt and step uncles house every now and then to see their horses they have alot of them. My favriote horses up there are Toby and Wild Cat. Toby loves people and is just a plain reddish male mare that is sorta short and stocky looking I think from his appearance he reminds me of a basset hound. Toby will let anyone just climb on him at any time and ride him around it doesn't matter who they are and it doesn't matter if Toby has no saddle he still gives them rides. Toby is a gentle gaint and I think that he is part dog cause he hates it when his owners are away he does the stuff a dog would do and pouts if his owners leave. Then Wild Cat is a beautiful female mustang that used to be wild my step aunt Deniece rescued her when she was in a gaint mud sink hole and could not get out after she got Wild Cat out it seemed that even though Wild cat had followed her home Wild Cat would not let anyone ride her or even touch her until the day I met Wild Cat for some reason Wild Cat liked me and let me pet her and hug her and give her kisses and feed her hay and stuff. I don't know why but after spending time with me that day she trusted everyone after that and let everyone pet her and stuff. I wish to have some horses of my own in the future named Stable, Two Bits, Beauty, Flamedra, Rocky Road, Speedy, Silver and Hoofster. I love horses and cows and have always wondered if they were bred together what would their baby look like I would not do it cause we do not need more animals in the world that can not find homes but I do wonder what the baby would look like.

Michele Z.

Michele Z.

It's good that there are organizations rescuing horses and trying to get legislation passed that would prohibit transporting them to other countries for slaughtering. It seems like this should have already been enacted--too many horses have faced an unfortunate fate.

Is this the same "Angel Acres" which won ($10,000.00?) last year in the Rescue Group Sweepstakes?

Bella C.

Bella C.

I believe it was less then that but they did win some.