Wed, May 5 | By Jay Speiden | 20

A pet owner would be hard-pressed to find an individual more qualified to speak about advances in veterinary techniques than Dr. Kyle Kerstetter of Michigan Veterinary Specialists. Not only is Dr. Kerstetter a Board Certified Diplomate of the America… more ›

Advances in Veterinary Techniques
Momba

Momba

We've come a long way in treatments for animals and humans, and I for one am grateful for that!

when it is for the animals i guess experimenting on them with meds that are being made for them is understandable as it is to do it to us

Diane H.

Diane H.

It's amazing all the advances in pet care. Not surprising because of the money spent on pets, but still really wonderful. It gives people an option for care.

Kris

Kris

I totally agree. I am glad to see the advances in care for our pets.

Bowne

Bowne

These advances are amazing. It is unfortunate that they usually cost so much. Hopefully, as more advances are made, the price with come down and people won't have to make such difficult decisions about their pets.

Kitty W.

Kitty W.

That's amazing!! :)

Thank God these advancements have been made! I just wish that I could get pet insurance even though my dog has a pre-existing condition....hopefully, that will change too!

Kris

Kris

I agree. I am thrilled that there are better tests and treatments for our pets, but it may reach a point where we almost need insurance to pay for our pet's healthcare.

Lisa B.

Lisa B.

I wish they would come up with a vaccine for cat scratch disease. It is a pain when you get it, but I can't stop fostering cats for the Shelter.

Michele Z.

Michele Z.

Although having pet insurance may be useful, I wonder how much its cost will increase as the veterinary advances are made. That is, pet insurance may have been reasonably priced in the past, but that could quickly change if/when the insurance companies realize there are many more expensive diagnostic and treatment techniques available. As the advances increase, so will the cost of pet insurance.

Jillian

Jillian

whatever the cost, pet insurance is really only feasible when you have a few animals. once you reach five or six, you may as well handle the situations as they come.

MVS

MVS

I know that you can get different levels of pet insurance (at least from Purina Care). You can just cover emergencies or get a more comprehensive policy that covers routine care and serious illnesses and injuries. And I think that Purina Care doesn't exclude heritable diseases like some other companies may do (e.g. breed-specific diseases). I'm not an expert on their policies but have looked into it in the past. Anyway, it's worth exploring the different levels and at least covering your pet for emergencies that could end up being quite expensive out of pocket.

These are some great advancments in technology, I saw this thing for dogs and cats for them to lose weight it is a treadmill that fills up with water and the dog or cat has to walk on the treadmill but when the water is high enough their only option is to swim. As for myself I wish they could develop some stuff for diabeteic dogs and cats to make it easeir for their owners such as they do not have blood sugar machines for cats and dogs and the vets just tell the owners to give the cats and dogs one certain amount of insulin in the evening and one certain amount in the morning when they don't even know if the animal has type one or type two diabeteis and also when they don't even know what the animals blood sugar is and should be figuring out how munch insulin to give depending on all of this stuff. This could kill a cat or a dog some day it probably already has. I am a type one diabeteic myself and so is my older sister and my two younger brothers are also my grandpa has type two so I know what big of a diffrence stuff like this makes. Maybe I should become a vetranairian to help them with diabetic dogs and cats which I would know more about than most vets do.

Judi D.

Judi D.

I have a diabetic horse, but that is fairly easy to control. We do it with diet and exercise. If you don't control it, though, it is very serious and can result in laminitis. This is a case where technology doesn't make much difference, but knowledge does.

Jillian

Jillian

we have a vet out here that uses stem cells for dogs w/arthritis. it's something like an 80-90% success rate, but costs upwards of 2 grand. honestly, if roo weren't as old as she is i'd probably be selling my belongings for that. wish this procedure were available 3 years ago.

Judi D.

Judi D.

Have you tried Synovi-care? It is a supplement that really helps my little dog. I ran out once, and I could tell there was a big difference after about a week. I ordered more, and she was feeling good, again.

Jillian

Jillian

she's on cosequin right now, not sure if there's a big difference between the two. looking to put her on adequan, which is a shot that's supposed to be much stronger than the pills. she has some muscle atrophy, so there's no promise anything will work really well anymore.

Stephanie

Stephanie

I think the advancements are wonderful. I look forward to the cost going down so more people can give their pets more high quality years.