Five Amazing Animals
December 12, 2010 |
By Zootoo Pet News Staff
| Category: Entertainment
| 6 comments
Tags: heroes, entertainment, working animals, amazing animals, heroic animals, heroic pets, pet rescue, pet adoption
Zootoo's top picks for Favorite Furry Friend.
Here at Zootoo, we celebrate those pets and other animals who achieved amazing feats, worked tirelessly to rescue humans, and touched our hearts with their inspiring stories.
1. When 3-year-old Victoria Bensch wandered off from her Arizona home into the desert, family and searchers were frantic. As night fell, the temperatures dropped into the low 30s, and the toddler had only been wearing a T-shirt and pants when she disappeared. Rescuers were amazed to find Victoria in good health the following morning because her dog Blue -- who had previously never left the yard -- had followed her, snuggling with her all night to keep her warm, and very likely fending off the coyotes and snakes that populate the desert landscape.
2. As a puppy, the black lab Pearl was so spirited, her owners gave her to an animal shelter because she kept running away. But Pearl overcame the adversity of being given up to become a search and rescue dog for the Los Angeles County Fire Department. In this capacity, she has completed two humanitarian missions to Haiti following the devastating earthquakes in January -- saving the lives of 12 people over 17 days. For her heroism, Pearl was awarded ASPCA's Dog of the Year.
3. The Boston terrier Nuts was only a fictional character on screen, but his presence in the April film The Back-Up Plan shined a spotlight on the needs of homeless and handicapped pets. Although three dogs who played the animals were not handicapped, movie magic created the illusion that they walked with a wheelchair. As a bonus, the lead character, played by Jennifer Lopez, owned a pet store that was a venue for rescued and shelter pets -- not pets for sale -- further highlighting the importance of pet adoption.
4. Born with only one front leg, labrador-chow mix Faith has inspired countless individuals by learning to walk on two legs, after the second front leg had to be removed. In August, Faith's owner announced that the dog would continue her mission of visiting veterans trying to overcome injuries sustained in war zones by visiting British troops who had served in Afghanistan.
5. The awe-inspiring canine lifeguards of the Italian Coast Guard are responsible for saving many lives during the summer months, acting as "intelligent lifebuoys" who assist human rescuers in pulling swimmers to shore. Most of the dogs tend to be retrievers, drawing on their natural instincts to doggie paddle their charges back to safety.
What are your favorite amazing animals? Who do you think we should have included in our list? Tell us below!
You may know Tori Spelling as an award-winning actress, author, and dedicated mother. But did you know she is also a passionate animal lover, and pet… more ›