Average rating from 21 reviews.
Products We Are Testing:
Readers' Reviews add review
- Sort by:
- Most Helpful |
These RawHides Killed My Dog
posted 3 years ago
I have been giving my dogs rawhides for years. I have three dogs. One of my dogs, a two-year old 20lbs Chihuahua terrier mix, started becoming mysteriously ill the last couple of weeks. This avid eater just stopped eating. I told the vet that the last thing I saw him eating/chewing on was a rawhide. Three trips to the vet, I could not get an answer, just to keep watching him and put him on some antibiotics. I did this and to my surprise he did start to get better, in just a few days. He was playing and jumping, an all-in-all healthy happy pet. Three days ago, I gave him a rawhide that I had recently purchased from a local chain store, as I was yet to make a real connection between his illness and rawhides. Within three days, he started breathing heavy, having trouble walking and of course not eating again. This time however, the breathing and walking were of such a great concern that once again we made a trip to the vet. The vet that I took him to insisted that a rawhide could not have caused this condition. While in the waiting room I used my phone to search and see if anyone had experienced similar things with their pets. Come to find out, there were many posts about the dangerous of rawhides. This is where I made the connection. It is unfortunate, that I read them a bit too late. He told me in 25 years he had never seen a rawhide cause this kind of damage. Ultimately, he told me that it was impossible. As a responsible dog owner, as with a parent of children, you usually have a good idea about what your dogs/kids are consuming and their symptoms when they are sick. He told me that it was poison, an autoimmune disease, etc...but not a rawhide. I asked the vet to please give me my dog, as I was going to have to take him elsewhere. I took him to an emergency hospital where he was to stay for 24 hours. I got a call at 12:30 am, on March 21st, saying that his test results showed his lung was punctured. The vet asked me if he had been hit by a car or incurred any other trauma, which he hadn't. When I got to the vet, I found that he had passed while I was in the waiting room. The vet agreed to do an "educational" surgery to figure out what may have caused this. Come to find out, she found a rawhide lodged in his chest cavity, which punctured his esophagus and his lung causing his chest to fill up with fluids, eventually leading to his death. Rawhides do not show up in x-rays. If it was not for other people positing their stories, I would have never believed rawhides could do this to a dog. Please, please be careful about rawhides. Though this is a rare occurrence, it does happen and is not worth the risk. If you have or are experiencing something like this, I would like to hear from you so something can be done to prevent this. It is so important that something be done in educating people about the potential threat that rawhides have on dogs. Sharing this information with others will help ensure that this does not happen to other dogs and puppies. My e-mail address is: email@example.com.
Pros: Dogs Love them
12 of 17 people found this review helpful.
posted 6 years ago
My dogs love these chews. I use them as rewards and just because they enjoy them so much. I have two dogs, brother and sister. Daisy, who is half the size of her brother will gobble hers up and Buddy will savor his. After she finishes hers she will lay in front of her brother and stare at him trying to get the rest of his, and sometimes she will take his away from him.
These chews come in chip form, they look like large potato chips. They also come in the form of a bone. I use the chips because they don't have the knot at each end that could lodge in their throats and choke them. And my babies prefer the chips over the bone.
Pros: Helps keep their teeth clean
Cons: They keep begging for more
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
They don't last with my dog!
posted 6 years ago
My dog loves exer-hides, but they don't last long. I will still buy them because they are $2.97 for a whole bag of them at Wal-Mart, but will probably just give them to him as a "treat" instead of something to "just chew on". They definitely don't "exercise" him, because he will eat the whole pack if he could; and he doesn't have to try very hard to eat it. Seems pretty digestible, he does occasionally hack after eating them, because they are made up of pieces that are "pressed" into a stick.
Pros: My dog loves them, they are inexpensive
Cons: he eats them in 15 seconds flat!
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
posted 4 years ago
My girls love these rawhide chips. They get one everynight when they go into their crate. One of them is obsessed with them and collects them. She'll get all the scraps up on the bed with her then take a nap. I think these do help plaque but you do have to watch because every once in a while (not often) they will get choked. The flat ones are much safer than the twists.
Pros: great stress reliever
Cons: be sure they don't get choked
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
posted 5 years ago
My dog loves rawhides! She grabs it and runs every time I give her one, and it keeps her chewing for a long time. They are great for car trips or when I have to leave her alone because they keep her occupied, so she's not chewing on something else or getting into something she is not supposed to. I only give her a rawhide bone on occasion because I have heard that it is rough on the digestive system, but I have never had a problem with them.
Pros: great entertainment, dogs love them, cleans teeth
0 of 0 people found this review helpful.
Want to review a product, but not finding it? Just add it and review it!
Recent Product Reviews
July 14, 2013 | By Xiaoxiao111
Pink is my favorite color these are wonderful.I will recommend a good website fou you: www.9footballshirt.org
June 28, 2013 | By Kittymom314
I introduced this food to my two cats, one is a senior at 13 years and the other is about 7 years. Both females. The 7 year old is a new addition, recently adopted :) Because of their age differenc… more ›