Editor's Best Lists:
Products We Are Testing:
Reader's Reviews (21)
These RawHides Killed My Dog
posted 3 years ago
I have been giving my dogs rawhides for years. I have three dogs. One of my dogs, a two-year old 20lbs Chihuahua terrier mix, started becoming mysteriously ill the last couple of weeks. This avid eater just stopped eating. I told the vet that the last thing I saw him eating/chewing on was a rawhide. Three trips to the vet, I could not get an answer, just to keep watching him and put him on some antibiotics. I did this and to my surprise he did start to get better, in just a few days. He was playing and jumping, an all-in-all healthy happy pet. Three days ago, I gave him a rawhide that I had recently purchased from a local chain store, as I was yet to make a real connection between his illness and rawhides. Within three days, he started breathing heavy, having trouble walking and of course not eating again. This time however, the breathing and walking were of such a great concern that once again we made a trip to the vet. The vet that I took him to insisted that a rawhide could not have caused this condition. While in the waiting room I used my phone to search and see if anyone had experienced similar things with their pets. Come to find out, there were many posts about the dangerous of rawhides. This is where I made the connection. It is unfortunate, that I read them a bit too late. He told me in 25 years he had never seen a rawhide cause this kind of damage. Ultimately, he told me that it was impossible. As a responsible dog owner, as with a parent of children, you usually have a good idea about what your dogs/kids are consuming and their symptoms when they are sick. He told me that it was poison, an autoimmune disease, etc...but not a rawhide. I asked the vet to please give me my dog, as I was going to have to take him elsewhere. I took him to an emergency hospital where he was to stay for 24 hours. I got a call at 12:30 am, on March 21st, saying that his test results showed his lung was punctured. The vet asked me if he had been hit by a car or incurred any other trauma, which he hadn't. When I got to the vet, I found that he had passed while I was in the waiting room. The vet agreed to do an "educational" surgery to figure out what may have caused this. Come to find out, she found a rawhide lodged in his chest cavity, which punctured his esophagus and his lung causing his chest to fill up with fluids, eventually leading to his death. Rawhides do not show up in x-rays. If it was not for other people positing their stories, I would have never believed rawhides could do this to a dog. Please, please be careful about rawhides. Though this is a rare occurrence, it does happen and is not worth the risk. If you have or are experiencing something like this, I would like to hear from you so something can be done to prevent this. It is so important that something be done in educating people about the potential threat that rawhides have on dogs. Sharing this information with others will help ensure that this does not happen to other dogs and puppies. My e-mail address is: email@example.com.
Pros: Dogs Love them
12 of 16 people found this review helpful.
posted 4 years ago
My girls love these rawhide chips. They get one everynight when they go into their crate. One of them is obsessed with them and collects them. She'll get all the scraps up on the bed with her then take a nap. I think these do help plaque but you do have to watch because every once in a while (not often) they will get choked. The flat ones are much safer than the twists.
Pros: great stress reliever
Cons: be sure they don't get choked
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Want to review a product, but not finding it? Just add it and review it!
Recent Product Reviews
May 5, 2013 | By Ebcreates
Many of my birds have survived thanks to this antibiotic. Why I can't find it in a store is beyond me. This is a miracle tonic that at only 2.99 can save all types of birds. It's almost impossible to … more ›
April 26, 2013 | By Will9campos
This product worked great. I ordered this from Q-based Solutions. I ended up returning the first pack I had ordered becasue I ordered the wrong pack for my cat and they refunded me right away. I found… more ›