Pet Symptom Checker

Rat poison

Medical name: Anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning

Emergency Warnings



  • Stressful breathing
  • Abnormal breath sounds
  • Lack of energy
  • Lethargy
  • Pale mucous
  • Swelling from fluid


If you know or suspect your pet has ingested rat poison, you should consider this an emergency and seek veterinary help immediately. Poisoning is most often indicated by labored or stressful breathing. Your pet may also be lethargic, show pale mucous membranes, or experience swelling. The blood-clotting rodent poisons, such as warfarin, can be fatal, so seek emergency veterinary help immediately. The ASPCA Poison Control Center's toll-free hotline can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (888) 426-4435.

Zootoo does not provide veterinary medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s medical condition.
If you think your pet may be experiencing a medical emergency, call your veterinarian or an emergency animal care facility immediately.

‹ back to search results

Or view these Common Conditions