Flag

Need dog diet tips he is 30 pounds overweight!!

April 21, 2009 | By Maddie D.

Please help i need some dog diet tips my dog Petey is 30 pounds over weight! The vet said if he doesnt lose some weight it could lead to serious hip damage and maybe even DEATH and i am not ready to lose my baby when he is only 4 he is my best friend i need him please help!
Diane
Flag

Diane
5 years ago

Our shepherd had to lose about 9 pounds and the vet had us replace a third of her dog food with frozen green beans. She loved them and it helped to fill her up without adding any calories to speak of. (And they cost about the same as Science Diet per pound, so no difference there.) She's almost 10 and had to give up frisbee playing because it was hard on her hips and the weight just sort of snuck up on her. So, we just made sure she got extra exercise some other way, added the green beans and she lost the 9 pounds in about a month. Hope that helps, do try hard to get your dogs weight down, 30 pounds over is pretty dangerous for them. They make some light dog foods too, might try that with the green beans at the start. Also, probably best to check out anything you decide on with your vet first since they know your dog and I don't.

Rachel S.
Flag

Rachel S.
5 years ago

What kind of dog are we talking about? Thirty pounds is quite a bit for any dog, but if Petey is a smaller type of dog, it will be even harder on him. The advice about adding green beans to your dog's diet is a great one. You'll be adding fiber and nutrients, and most dogs like them. What are you feeding your dog now? If you are feeding a commercial dog food, you may want to consider switching Petey to a home-made diet of chicken and veggies, or beef and veggies. You can choose whether or not you want to feed the meat cooked or raw, but you should steam the veggies, making them easier for Petey to digest. Commercial diets often include a lot of extra fillers, junk or empty calories that Petey does not need. Hope this helps out!

julie d.
Flag

julie d.
5 years ago

Of course as mentioned, green beans are good to replace part of your dog's meal. Also you can add plain canned pumpkin. It will help fill them up without adding a lot of empty calories. Of course exercise-starting off VERY slow and short will help too. Just a walk to the mailbox or around the yard at first, but don't overdo.

Diane
Flag

Diane
5 years ago

Just be aware that pumpkin is a bit of a laxative in some dogs, so if you start to see loose stools, cut out the pumpkin for a bit.

Inarisfire
Flag

Inarisfire
5 years ago

I agree with this. I tried it as a treat with my puppy in her kong the next day she had the runs.

Bgillen
Flag

Bgillen
5 years ago

Switch to baby carrots for treats. my dogs love them and they make great training tools.

Rachel B.
Flag

Rachel B.
5 years ago

Feeding him vegtables is a good idea. Also you can try feeding him how much the bag recomends. On the dog food bag it usually haves an amount of how much to feed your dog. Giving him exercise is a key part to. You can feed him less or different food but it might not do much if he's not exercing. Giving him short walks and just playing with him would help. Good luck and I hope everyones info helps.

1 | 2 |

You might also enjoy:

Can't find a group you like? Create one and invite members!

Meet the Breeds
Find the Havana Brown!

Advertisement