Flag

Shih Tzu 101

August 11, 2009 | By Alice D. | 3 comments

I am a new pet owner and am looking for all the help I can find.

I am searching for the right food for my Shih Tzu who seems to have allergies. What do you guys feed your pups? Special treats?

Does your puppy suffer from alllergies? How often do you bathe? Any special Shampoos?

Gizmo is as loveable as they come but won't come when called. He doesn't go down the stairs so when I want to pick him up to take him down, he darts off and it takes endless tries to catch him.

Any suggestions?
Comments (3)
Katie P.
Flag

Katie P.
4 years ago

I feed my 1 year old shorkie tzu and 11 week old shih tzu pedigree puppy. They seem to like it and for a big bag it is inexpensive. As far as treats go my little bear will eat any kind of treat but esp milk bones or the tatar bones.

I went to my groomer she informed my little did not have fleas but maybe dry skin. She bathed him in oatmeal bath and left conditioner in. Hoping As it did not work I had to talk to my vet. he said it was allergies and gave me pills. He told me if that did not work he could give him a shot for it.

My 11week old also does not come to her name yet she is still young and learning the name we gave her. She will look at you but most likely not come. Little will only come when he feels like it!

Honey won't go down the stairs yet either she sits there and cries till someone picks her up. but she LOVES going up them. All you can do is sit on each step and teach them to go down to show them they are safe.

Dawn R.
Flag

Dawn R.
4 years ago

I have always had a hard time getting my Shih Tzu to come when called - and he's 10 years old. They very much have minds of their own. Going down the stairs really isn't the best thing for their backs, so it's probably better that you carry him down, anyway. Mine is banned from the stairs after expensvie back surgery 2 years ago. He has food allergies too, so I keep him on a single protein diet. They can be a lot of upkeep, but they're so worth it!

You might also enjoy:

Can't find a group you like? Create one and invite members!

Meet the Breeds
Find the Pembroke Welsh Corgi!

Advertisement