Flag

Potty Training

January 13, 2009 | By Marina B. | 4 comments

Hi, I am a new Pomeranian owner, never had a dog in my life. What a difference from having a cat! My puppy is about 13 weeks old, she doesn't go outside yet. What is the best way to potty train her? 80% of the time she pees/poops on the designated newspapers, but then there are the other 20% when it's in random places. I even bought a spray that supposed to "tell" her where to go, but she ignores it. I heard it takes a while to potty train a dog, especially a Pom. What do I do?
Comments (4)
Jody C.
Flag

Jody C.
5 years ago

Hi All! Boy am I glad to see your posts. I am in exactly the same position but my Pom is a year old. I have written in here and gotten the same responses. I have tried everything I have hearrd of but my Pom still isn't trained. I work very hard at training her but she still does her business in the house. Even though I watch her go when she's outside, give her treats, praise her, use a crate, take her out all the time, and other things! I am at my wits end. I have even called a behaviorist and am waiting to hear back from him. I have heard a few times that Poms can be hard but this is ridiculous. I am so frustrated. I really think she doesn't like the grass. She will go inside even if I have taken her out and watched her go. And she will poop inside right after I have had her out. This is a real problem when my mom watches her. She does not go to the door when she has to go and I have to pick her up and take her out. I hope the behaviorist has some new ideas. Good luck to all!

Jhcccourtie
Flag

Jhcccourtie
5 years ago

I'm in the same boat too! I'm not training mine to go outside, since I live in an apartment. But I have a puppy litter box. He's gotten the hint (for the most part) that he needs to go in the bathroom, just not in the litter box.

You might also enjoy:

Can't find a group you like? Create one and invite members!

Meet the Breeds
Find the Old English Sheepdog!

Advertisement