Flag

Laws on number of horses someone can own

May 18, 2009 | By Yogimiester

I was wondering if any states have laws on the number of horses a person can have. I think there should be. There are on dogs and cats, so there should be on horses. People can have to many and not be able to care for them.
Nona V.
Flag

Nona V.
5 years ago

Here in California, people are limited to the amount
of horses by the number of acres of land they have.

I dont have specifics, but there is generally a code.

I dont know about more rural areas and what
they suggest.

m s.
Flag

m s.
5 years ago

You would have to look that up by finding out what the laws are in your state and also Federal laws. I believe that if you have the space and the animals are happy, you're on the right road. I do not believe the law should put any limitations on how many animals you may keep -- if your animals have what they need to give them a good quality of life, then, tell me, where is the problem? For instance, you love horses and want to take care of them. If your home is 200 sq ft in size or 2000 sq ft in size, tell me, where will this horse or horses go? Do you think they'll be happy in your domain. My guess is that they would not receive the quality of life there as they would on someone's farm of 50 acres. Cats and dogs, on the other hand, would be super-happy in your domain. We're assuming here, people who love and know how to take care of the animals in question.

Yogimiester
Flag

Yogimiester
5 years ago

Yes, yes I totaly hear what your saying. But then there needs to be a law on what the definition of the animals being 'happy' is. I only say this because while you make a very good point and I agree with you, you're only seeing it in the way of everything going right. I've witnessed some horrible things that have happened to some animals because the owner just simply has too many, and the sheriff thinks they look 'happy'. They're not.
I also know that in ND if you live by other people there's a limit, but if you live out in the country, there is no limit (I think). I mean, if your property is bursting at the seams with horses, I'm sure that's illegal. I don't really know though.

You might also enjoy:

Can't find a group you like? Create one and invite members!

Meet the Breeds
Find the Collie!

Advertisement