Flag

Q: Why do most people answer questions on here, regardless of whether advice is solicited?

November 2, 2008 | By Cindy | 14 answers | Expired: 2197 days ago

Cindy

I asked a question about whether Lysol is safe for pets, saying I stopped using it years ago when I heard it was toxic to pets. But I know that a vet clinic is using it. My question is, not what should I use, but is Lysol safe?

Readers' Answers (14)

1 | 2 |

  • Sort by:
  • Latest |
  • Rank
ChicoanVolunteer
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

I am not sure if Lysol specifically is toxic, but I know most cleaners are, and the best ting to use is either bleach or green products.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Anonymous
Flag
Anonymous

Nov 03, 2008

Alcohol: Isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the first aid kit, the ethyl alcohol in beverages or ethyl alcohol from fermentation of bread dough are all potential sources of toxicity for pets. Methanol is wood alcohol, and found in windshield wiper fluids and some other products. Lysol ® household cleaner is very high in alcohol. Keep all of these out of the reach of pets to prevent poisoning.

Pine Oils: Pine Sol ® is a cleaning solution containing high concentrations of pine oil alcohols derived from pine tree wood. Turpentine is another such preparation consisting of pine oil terpenes. Cats are particularly sensitive to pine oils because they lack an efficient liver enzyme system to detoxify them.

Phenols: As mentioned above cats are sensitive to Lysol cleaner but not only because of their sensitivity to the alcohol in the product. This cleaner also contains phenols and cats have problems detoxifying this type of poison due to the low efficiency of the detoxifying liver enzymes.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Oldmaidcatwoman
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

I just did a quick web search and came up with this link:
www.ghchealth.com/forum/ptopic269.html which states that Lysol isn't safe around pets and is especially toxic to cats. I would tend to think that is correct--I do remember without question that Pine Sol is not safe for pets and the web site I referred to also warns about Pine Sol's use. I don't use either product anymore, but a quick check of the ingredient lists I bet would reveal many similarities.

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

Marta J.
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

Lysol is mainly carbolic acid. It was one of the first used disinfectants. If you have doubts use something else. Bleach kills about everything. If used right it's harmless. It's used in pools, dishsoap and dishwasher soap.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Veronica (Ronnie) G.
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

Lysol and most commercial cleaning agents are now known to be toxic. Need to be used carefully. I would imagine the veterinary clinic would need to use Lysol due to the increased pathogens in a vet clinic. I doubt they would endanger animals...maybe they use it diluted and/or in special areas?

I would not use Lysol at home close to my pet. Yes, to wash a floor, but I always rinse right away. Straight white vinegar, or vinegar mixed with water, is a good cleaning agent. However, I find fumes from vinegar to be irritating to my throat, so I imagine to an animal's also. Eyes too. Again...dilute and/or rinse right after using.

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

Fran B.
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

I dont think Lysol is good to use around pets, I wuold be very very careful!

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Jo D.
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

Hi,

I would use an all natural product, anything that can kill that many germs, makes me antzy! We use all natural stuff for just about everything.

Have a happy day!

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Onyx122506
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

No, I would use an all natural product. If small animals lick where Lysol was sprayed they can get very sick.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

LoriHill123
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

Lysol has been linked with SIDS. I wouldn't use anything around my pets that I wouldn't around children.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Patricia  C.
Flag

Nov 03, 2008

I think Lysol kills some germs and bacteria, but I think only bleach kills the parvo germ. I have no idea about whether it would be safe for animals, but I feel it would be safer than some of the germs and bacteria that they could come into contact with at a vet's office.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

1 | 2 |

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement

See more ›
Know the Answer?

There are always new questions that need answers. Contribute your knowledge about pets.

Need to know | Zootoo Website