Q: what do zoologist really do?
i have been researching what a zoologist does and really havent found anything good. does anyone know what they really do. do zoologist work directly with animals?
Sep 04, 2008
Zoology is the branch of biology concerned with the study of animals. The field of zoology in the twentieth century mainly comprised these approaches:
1. Comparative anatomy studies the structure of animals.
2. The physiology of animals is studied under various fields including anatomy and embryology
3. The common genetic and developmental mechanisms of animals and plants is studied in molecular biology, molecular genetics and developmental biology
4. Ethology is the study of animal behavior.
5. The ecology of animals is covered under behavioral ecology and other fields
6. Evolutionary biology of both animals and plants is considered in the articles on evolution, population genetics, heredity, variation, Mendelism, reproduction.
7. Systematics, cladistics, phylogenetics, phylogeography, biogeography and taxonomy classify and group species via common descent and regional associations.
8. The various taxonomically-oriented disciplines such as mammalogy, herpetology, ornithology identify and classify species, and study the structures and mechanisms specific to those groups. Entomology is the study of insects, by far the largest group of animals.
9. Palaeontology, including all that may be learnt of ancient environments.
Jeff Corwin (herpetology)
Charles Darwin (theory of evolution, natural selection)
Jane Goodall (primatology)
William Kirby (father of entomology)
Steve Irwin (herpetology)
Wikipedia has a great article on Zoology that should help explain things to you. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoology
My grandfather would have been considered a zoologist because he studied zoology in college but he specialized in Lepidopterology (the study of butterflies). He worked for the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History as one of their experts. My grandfather worked with butterflies; yes, zoologists work with animals.
Thumbs Up: 1 |
Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.