Q: Pregnant mare?
I recently (August 2010) bought a mare. She was like she should be until around October. Sure, I had noticed her gaining a bit of weight, but slowly it built up, and she outgrew her girth (which was a 52" to begin with). Here are the symptoms that makes me consider that she is pregnant:
1) Weight gain (dispite the fact that she gets no grain, only hay)
2) Always hungry (eats slowly and steadily, not fast)
3) Is fidgety on the crossties
4) Doesn't like being saddled
5) I am almost certain she has not come into heat since we bought her
I don't know. I just don't know. We'll probably have a vet check her out this coming week, but I wanted to hear some thoughts on this. Being a first-time horse owner, you can imagine my feelings - panic, shock and a lot of, "I am so not ready for this."
What do you think?
Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.