Flag

Q: Pionsetta's?

December 29, 2011 | By Ches21 | 3 answers | Expired: 929 days ago

Ches21

I know that pionsetta's are piosonus to dogs and cats so I try not to have them around the house but my stepdad brought one home luckily he put it somewhere where shorty and Skitters can't get at it but the problem is I keep ending up brushing my arms and hands on it every day it is getting annoying cause then I am stuck washing my hands more often than usaul every time I brush past it so I was wondering do I need to wash my hands every time I touch it or brush past it or will it not harm Skitters and Shorty if they lick my hands or if I pet them?

Readers' Answers (3)
daryl b.
Flag

Dec 29, 2011

i believe it has to be digested but just to be safe maybe you could ask your dad to move it. christmas is over so maybe you can throw it out or give it to someone with no pets. to put away for the winter. i think i posted a journal about them within the last week

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

NonGlassMenagerie
Flag

Dec 30, 2011

Poinsettias aren't nearly as toxic as some make them out to be so it's not necessary to wash your hands every time you touch it. They can irritate the intestinal tract and may cause vomiting if pets munch on a lot of it, but even an occasional nibble usually doesn't hurt pets. Pollens or exudate from the plant that touches you is not enough to even cause a tummy upset in a healthy pet. I don't recommend letting your pets munch on them as they are mildly toxic, but not out and out poisonous, but problems are rare and I've never heard of a pet dying from a poinsettia.

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

Kelly
Flag

Jan 04, 2012

You don't have to wash up before touching your pets. Poinsettias aren't as toxic as many other plants. It's not the pollens, but the alkaloids in the leaves that can cause irritation to mucus membranes. Animals with compromised immune systems or other serious illnesses could be more affected by the toxins if they eat them, but even then, your touching the plant and then touching your pet and letting them lick you shouldn't be a problem. Even if plants are listed as not being poisonous, pets should be kept from ingesting them. Any plant could have been treated with a systemic pesticide that could become lethal if enough is eaten.

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement