Flag

Q: no chocolate?!

November 7, 2008 | By paige s. | 21 answers | Expired: 2070 days ago

paige s.

i know that chocolate is toxic to dogs but some people say their dogs have eaten chocolate and nothing has happened. does chocolate affect only certain dogs. i am so curious about this tell me how this works and what is in it that is so bad???????

Readers' Answers (21)

1 | 2 | 3 |

  • Sort by:
  • Latest |
  • Rank
Jumpingjitterbug
Flag

Nov 19, 2008

chocolate makes dogs heart race and for bigger dogs it takes more chocolate than for a little dog. but what ever you do, NO chocolate

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Christine C.
Flag

Nov 19, 2008

There is a substance in chocolate that is toxic to dogs, even the cocoa bark mulch that is sold in some of the home improvement stores has been found to make dogs sick. The worst kind of chocolate for a dog to get into is the bakers chocolate, it seems to have a higher toxicity for dogs. A dog should be closely watched and a vet should be consulted if a dog gets into any kind of chocolate though.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Emily  W.
Flag

Nov 15, 2008

There are several factors that would determine whether a dog would react to chocolate poisoning, but I personally wouldn't test it. Some chocolates, such as dark chocolate are much more toxic than milk chocolate. Also, the size of the dog can play a role. A dosage that would affect a Chihuahua may not affect a Great Dane. Nevertheless, I wouldn't give your dog chocolate at all, because there are countless treats made specifically for dogs, and are safe to use.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Cheryl
Flag

Nov 15, 2008

Don't test it. Ask your vet if you should treat your dog with a piece of chocolate now and then. Trust me - the vet won't say yeah. There are plenty of dog treats to give your dog....stick with the things made specifically for your pet. Keep him/her healthy!

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Puppiesloveme
Flag

Nov 12, 2008

Its the pure cocoa that really affects the dogs Milk chocolate isnt as harmful but there really isnt any chocolate that dogs should have

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Chitown
Flag

Nov 12, 2008

I occasionally feed my two dogs a Junior Mint or two, with no adverse consequences. It's the quantity of caffeine and theobromine that are of most concern. "No chocolate" is a weakest-link warning: If pet experts said chocolate was OK for dogs IN VERY SMALL AMOUNTS, you just know there are people who would feed chocolate to their dogs all day long.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Elizabeth R.
Flag

Nov 09, 2008

It depends. One of my dogs accidentally got hold of some chocolate, and I was in fear. However, when I called the vet, he said that to keep an eye on the dog. My dog was lucky that time, but I would never suggest giving dogs chocolate.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Nstout
Flag

Nov 09, 2008

I know chocolate is not good for dogs. However, I was told that the kind of chocolate that is very toxic is the baking chocolate. The choc chips, the baking cocoa powder and other chocolate stuff like that.
Hope that helps:)

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

jay s.
Flag

Nov 08, 2008

chocolate can hurt or kill your dog.they can get a sugar high and there bodies can't handle that,but the chocolate isn't the only thing that can hurt them the wrapper can also cause harm to the intestines such as the wrapper an hershy's kisses

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

Lara H.
Flag

Nov 08, 2008

We had a border collie growing up that ate a whole bag of M7M peanuts. She was fine and lucky I guess! We never left candy around after that though.

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

1 | 2 | 3 |

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement