Q: no chocolate?!

November 7, 2008 | By paige s. | 21 answers | Expired: 2227 days ago

paige s.

i know that chocolate is toxic to dogs but some people say their dogs have eaten chocolate and nothing has happened. does chocolate affect only certain dogs. i am so curious about this tell me how this works and what is in it that is so bad???????

Readers' Answers (21)

Nov 07, 2008

Chocolate is full of chemicals that can be toxic to dogs. Like a lot of things, there are many factors that can influence how a dog reacts. In my experience, I have never seen a reaction. Tahki used to find chocolate and mow down on it when he was a pup. He never had a problem, but it was always stressful - because it takes just one bad reaction. So, sure, a dog could eat chocolate 100 times and be fine, but if one time for whatever reason he has a bad reaction - it only takes once.
Theobromine, caffine and a few other things can be bad for doggie. Here's some guidelines i found.
On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Tahki never had any reaction, but I wouldn't risk giving any dog chocolate ever. You never know how they will react that time.

Thumbs Up: 3 | Thumbs up!

Megan B.

Nov 07, 2008

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline. The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine, 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Increased urination
Muscle tremors

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

I hope this information answers your question!

Thumbs Up: 2 | Thumbs up!


Nov 08, 2008

When I was young, my family had a terrier/poodle mix that discovered the chocolate Easter bunnies my mom hid under her bed and ate all of them. (My mom caught her in the act after seeing a couple of hind legs sticking out under the dust ruffle.) She didn't get sick at all. Later on, we found dog treats that tasted like chocolate so we'd buy those for her. She lived a very long life, so I'm guessing she was pretty lucky. I would never have known it was bad for them.

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.



See more ›
Know the Answer?

There are always new questions that need answers. Contribute your knowledge about pets.