Flag

Q: how much chocolate can a dog eat in one sitting wiyhout getting sick?

February 3, 2009 | By Savsky98 | 27 answers | Expired: 1891 days ago

Savsky98

just want 2 know this because i saw chocolate at a store for dogs but it looked like human chocolate.

Readers' Answers (27)

1 | 2 | 3 |

  • Sort by:
  • Latest |
  • Rank
Sally R.
Flag

Feb 17, 2009

I have purchased dog bones dipped in "chocolate" at Rocky Mountain Choc Factory for my dogs. It's not chocolate, but carob and my dogs absolutely love it!

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Traceylbosinski
Flag

Feb 10, 2009

I don't believe it was chocolate that you saw. Maybe it was something to represent that familiar goodie. My understanding, is that, chocolate should NOT be given to any animal. This can result in death.If your looking to give your pet a "treat" or "reward" try a product like Pitrpat. It's like candy to them and it freshens their breath also! Another idea is to keep a certain treat set aside from all the others and give only on special occassions. Please find something other then chocolate to show your love for them !

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Carole D.
Flag

Feb 09, 2009

A dog should not eat chocolate at all. What you saw was probably carob, which does not contain theobromide (sp?) and is safe for dogs and humans. For real chocolate, the darker the chocolate (such as unsweetened, bakers chocolate), the smaller the amount it takes to make the dog ill or cause death.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Ryan C.
Flag

Feb 09, 2009

CHOCOLATE KILLS DOGS

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

LINDSAY D.
Flag

Feb 08, 2009

I have given my dogs the gourmet choc. bones and they love them. It's suppose to be a dog formula and it hasn't harmed them yet.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Lindsey L.
Flag

Feb 07, 2009

It's the actual cacao that's toxic to dogs which means that the grocery store stuff like Hershey's and M&Ms are (depending on the size of your dog!) more likely to make them feel awful than kill them. It's the high cacao chocolate (like Scharffen Berger or Dagoba) that can kill your pooch pretty fast. NB! I'm not saying it's okay to feed Sparky chocolate! It's still toxic! It's just probably not going to kill him if he gets into it.
Most intended-for-dogs chocolate product are actually carob, which is safe for them.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

debbie l.
Flag

Feb 06, 2009

Doggy bakeries never use chocolate.I would'nt even let my dog smell chocolate.It can kill so be very careful.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Jessica L.
Flag

Feb 05, 2009

I work at a doggie bakery and we have many treats that we make that to the eye look like chocolate, but it is actually carob. Carob is not only ok for dogs to eat, but humans too!

Thumbs Up: 1 | Thumbs up!

Littlebug
Flag

Feb 04, 2009

it is not the same. dogs can not have regular chocolate, it can kill them, although our lab ate some chocolate cake one time and was ok- I do not recommend it. It was an accident.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Jean D.
Flag

Feb 04, 2009

DOGS CAN NOT HAVE CHOCOLATE MADE FOR HUMANS. Chocolate for dogs is made from carob beans and it is alright but chocolate for humans is HIGHLY TOXIC & CAN MAKE THEM DEATHLY SICK AND EVEN KILL THEM.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

1 | 2 | 3 |

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement