Flag

Q: Has anyone else had problems with Pedigree Jumbone becoming lodged in dogs esophagus?

October 20, 2009 | By Ckwcoco | 6 answers | Expired: 1760 days ago

Has anyone else had problems with Pedigree Jumbone becoming lodged in dogs esophagus?

Our dog almost died from esophagus blockage from a Pedigree Jumbone which lodged 360 degree's into his esophagus... 5 1/2 surgery... it almost killed him. Three months on a feeding tube. PLEASE PLEASE do not risk the danger with your pet! It's NOT worth it - no matter what the product packaging says - it is NOT digestible, it does not have a chewy center (it was hard as a rock lodged inside) and water does NOT help - we followed all package instructions... if it gets lodged it may harm your dog for life.

**** Thanks all that responded - Our dog was SUPERVISED.... That's the point - the product is not safe - the product gets lodged regardless if you are watching your dog chew it or not **** THE PRODUCT IS NOT DESIGNED PROPERLY ****

Readers' Answers (6)
  • Sort by:
  • Latest |
  • Rank
Shay E.
Flag

Nov 03, 2009

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that ., thanks for the advice and I will keep your dog in my prayers .and most definitley stay away from that product .

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

C. K.
Flag

Oct 30, 2009

I've heard that the greenies bones use to cause these problems too. You should always supervise your dog when they are enjoying any treats. Almost any treat like this can become a problem.

I am so sorry about your dog. I pray your pup will feel better really soon!

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Anonymous
Flag
Anonymous

Oct 26, 2009

I am so sorry this happened! Thank-you for alerting others. I will not buy them.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Amber
Flag

Oct 21, 2009

sorry to hear about that. "digestible" doesn't mean that it can't get lodged in your pet's throat, though. most dog chews will have a warning somewhere in their packaging about choking risk, because yes, pretty much *any* dog chew, be it a Jumbone, or a rawhide, pig ear, Nylabone, etc...anything meant to be chewed by a dog has the potential to be broken into bits of a size that might get lodged in their throat. my dog chewed rawhides for years without ever having problems, and i'm not sure what the absolute safest option out there is, but it's always a good idea to supervise your dog when "chewing".

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Lilyrose
Flag

Oct 20, 2009

I am so sorry to hear your dog had to go through such a terrible ordeal. Thank you for letting us know what happened. I will avoid those bones.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Ethel02
Flag

Oct 20, 2009

What a shame, I hope it has a happy ending, and thank you for telling your story, you will help allot of others because few people know of the dangers, they give those bone, rawhide chews & greenies too, the only bone I've ever given are raw marrow bones from the butcher, they have to be feed outside, very messy & I take it away in an hr, put it in fridg & give it next day, then the trash, they look greasy but it's the marrow & it is good for them about 1x ever couple weeks, never cook them, let us know your progress & thanks again for letting us know.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement