Q: Euthanization Decision
The past couple days have been extremely difficult. For the past months I knew my rotti Ruxbin was coming toward the end. He has at least four visible tumors, a growth on his toe/toe nail (that caused the vet remove the toenail and scrap the "growth") the vet said though he was not a pathologist he did not see any cancer cells in the scraping...but taking in mind the other tumors that are growing cancer is very likely. The past few days he has had explosive diarreah several times a day and seems to be straining to do even that and never quite "done", also VERY gassy. Diarreah is not out of the ordinary for Ruxbin, but he has never had it like this even with withholding food, even with plain rice or rice and lamb (he can't have chicken).
But that said he plays with the other dogs, he seems "happy" enough. But he is also the type of dog that had been attacked, had a huge bite wound infected and no one knew! He never really seems to let us know when he is hurt. We had a childhood dog that the whole family agrees we let suffer way too long, and I really don't want Ruxbin to suffer at all he is an awesome dog. But I also don't want to end his life if he is happy and has more good time. What are your thoughts?
Ruxbin has ALOT of food related digestive problems, which is why his diet is VERY strict. This recent illness, is not food related as he has has nothing but his regular food, rice/lamb or/and pure lamb treats, which is why it worries me. However I also agree that if there is a "easy" fix then we get to have more time with him...Will find out at 10:00 today.
Dec 24, 2009
Have the other tumors been diagnosed as cancer or is that just an assumption? I had a dog that had visible tumors too, but they were benign fatty tumors. I agree that you should make the decision that is best for your dog & not let him suffer, but I also believe that you should have all the facts before making that decision. The digestion problems could be food related rather than related to cancer. Just be sure you know what you're dealing with because I have seen animals come in on their last legs that had curable problems. I've also seen it go the other way with animals that looked perfectly healthy so make sure your vet knows for sure what he's dealing with & isn't just making an assumption. If it comes to making that decision, I've learned over the years that if you pay attention, you'll know. They tell you with the look in their eyes & their actions. Good luck to both of you. I hope you have a good outcome.
Thumbs Up: 1 |
Dec 29, 2009
MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU !I TO HAVE HAD SOME TRYING TIMES WITH MY DOG KODI AND HE STILL CONTINUES TO COME DOWN WITH SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TOMORROW GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT'S NEXT. HE IS ONLY SIX YEARS OLD AND HAS HAD SERIOUS PROBLEMS SINCE THE DAY I BROUGHT HIM HOME. AT THE AGE OF 8 WEEKS. THE DOG I HAD BEFORE KODI WAS DOOGIE HE JUST GOT SICK ONE DAY AND I HAD TO BRING HIM TO THE VET THEY TOLD ME HE HAD A GROWTH ON HIS SPLEEN .THEY OPERATED AND TWO HRS LATER A CALL AND I HAD TO MAKE THAT DREADED DECISION. I LOVED HIM SO MUCH I COULDNT BEAR TO LOSE HIM BUT I KNEW I COULDNT KEEP HIM ALIVE FOR ME. THAT JUST WOULDNT BE RIGHT. AND I CRIED AND HURT FOR ALONG TIME .AND SOMETIMES I STILL DO! BUT I FIND COMFORT IN KNOWING THAT I WILL SEE HIM AGAIN!!!!YOU AND YOUR DOG WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS. PRAYER DOES WORK! EVEN WHEN WE THINK IT DIDN;T............................
Thumbs Up: 1 |
Dec 23, 2009
That is a decision we all dread to have to make, my sadness is overwhelming for you. In my opinion I believe your pet will let you know when he is ready to go, I think you will just know that the time is right. We want to hang on to them for as long as we can and that can make us question the right decision. I promise, you will make the decision that is best for your friend. My thoughts are with you.
Thumbs Up: 0 |
Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.