Flag

Q: dog swallowed bone whole

December 7, 2008 | By Margie R. | 7 answers | Expired: 2076 days ago

Margie R.

Cadbury swallowed a cooked spare rib bone whole. it was about 2 inches long and half inch wide. the vet said to watch her for vometing or diarrhea. I would think that dogs stomach acid would disolve the bone. does anybody out there have any experience with this? thanks

Readers' Answers (7)
Gail B.
Flag

Dec 07, 2008

You should listen to your vet. Never give your dogs bones. Even when chewed, they can splinter and cut into the stomach lining and intestines. Acid can do only so much, but it is not going to dissolve a bone. The bone can lodge and cause an intestinal blockage in which it will have to be surgically removed. The best case is if it passes through going the long length through the intestines, but chances are with all the curves and turns in there, it will get lodged. Keep a very careful eye for vomiting because this would be a key indication she has a blockage and the longer it is blocked the worse it will be. A blockage can cause parts of the intestine/colon to die and that is a bad situation. If you notice symptoms, call your vet immediately!

Thumbs Up: 2 | Thumbs up!

Lharlow7
Flag

Dec 07, 2008

no-I never give my dog bones for that very reason. Hope your is ok/

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

Jennifer S.
Flag

Dec 07, 2008

My dog swallowed a baby back rib once, and she was ok. Watch your dog in case its stomach moves it into the intestines where it can cause real problems. Take him to the vet if anything seems off. I would also reccomend not giving bones any more.

Thumbs Up: 0 | Thumbs up!

You might also enjoy:

Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.

Advertisement

Advertisement