Q: dog swallowed bone whole
Cadbury swallowed a cooked spare rib bone whole. it was about 2 inches long and half inch wide. the vet said to watch her for vometing or diarrhea. I would think that dogs stomach acid would disolve the bone. does anybody out there have any experience with this? thanks
Dec 07, 2008
You should listen to your vet. Never give your dogs bones. Even when chewed, they can splinter and cut into the stomach lining and intestines. Acid can do only so much, but it is not going to dissolve a bone. The bone can lodge and cause an intestinal blockage in which it will have to be surgically removed. The best case is if it passes through going the long length through the intestines, but chances are with all the curves and turns in there, it will get lodged. Keep a very careful eye for vomiting because this would be a key indication she has a blockage and the longer it is blocked the worse it will be. A blockage can cause parts of the intestine/colon to die and that is a bad situation. If you notice symptoms, call your vet immediately!
Thumbs Up: 2 |
Got a question about your pet? Get the answers you need from Zootoo's community of pet experts and owners.